It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 pm

trouble with Focusrite 2i4 on WIndows 10

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

adri

trouble with Focusrite 2i4 on WIndows 10

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

I have a new mothertboard in my PC and a rebuilt laptop, both with Windows 10, 64-bit. Both of them won't run my Focusrite 2i4; and I have done anything and everything to try make it work, like:

turn off (disable) all other sound producers
turn off sound as such (recommended)
make Focusrite the default and only unit
installed the latest driver of course
etc.

NO SOUND ! :cry:

The Focusrite unit lights up; you hear a few pops in the headphone (that it can transmit sound and there is nothing wrong with your headphone jacks) but no music comes through ! ! ! ! :evil:

Is there some real wonderufl computer wizzard out here who can direct me in the right way? :idea:

Oh, and I have scoured the internet for solutions and tried them all, and will go to a local music store for help as well.

I need a musical angel ! :wink:

sonar11

Re: trouble with Focusrite 2i4 on WIndows 10

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 am

I have a focusrite 2i4, it should just be "plug and play". Windows should come with all the necessary drivers to support the device. Mine has always worked flawlessly, though I'm just using windows 7 at the moment for HW (I generally avoid windows like the plague it is).

You may want to check other things though, if two machines are both not working for you then it may not be the computers at all but something else. Are you sure the amplifier/speakers plugged into it are working correctly? Are you saying you hear music when using the headphones? (You have the main volume knob turned up, right? :) )

jkinkennon

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 am

1. Exit any cloud services such as OneDrive or Adobe Creative Cloud as they will positively interfere with audio interfaces.

2. Turn off the superfetch service.

3. Experiment with setting Game Mode for Hauptwerk. It works for me.

These are the three things I do to get my Focusrite 18i20 working. I've done the same for a small Presonus interface that I ocassionally use. I do run Norton Security without issues. Beyond this I'd try running Task Manager to look for programs or background services which are keeping the network or disk drives busy.
It's best to be off WiFi and any hardwired networks but I am able to stay connected so long as I turn off any cloud services.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am

First, is the device being seen by Hauptwerk? Second, have you set up an audio group within Hauptwerk? It would look something along the lines of Focusrite ASIO 1/2 or something like that, and if you're using just headphones you'd want 1/2 to be set up as primary for pipe routing.

I also use Win 7 (so can't say for sure on Win 10 but I suppose it is similar), in the audio devices control panel you do need to disable (un-tick) the on board audio device which is probably Realtek, and tick all channels of the intended device.

Only guesses I've got.

Marc

mdyde

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 11:26 am

Hello Adri,

Do you mean that you aren't hearing any sound through your Focusrite with Hauptwerk specifically, or from other applications too (such as playing a CD in Windows Media Player, or playing a video in your web browser, with the Windows default playback device set temporarily to be the Focusrite)?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

adri

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 5:35 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Adri,

Do you mean that you aren't hearing any sound through your Focusrite with Hauptwerk specifically, or from other applications too (such as playing a CD in Windows Media Player, or playing a video in your web browser, with the Windows default playback device set temporarily to be the Focusrite)?

Indeed, not with any window aoplications. Like YouTube. Or contrebombarde. Etc

mdyde

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 am

Thanks, Adri.

In that case, I don't think I have any particulaly useful suggestions to offer (I don't have experience with Focusrite's recent audio interfaces myself), except that you could perhaps:

- Try (re-)installing the driver for your Focusrite 2i4, then rebooting the PC: https://uk.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i4 .

- Try it connected to different USB ports directly on the PC (rather than by a USB hub), or if using a USB hub then make sure it's a good-quality (e.g. Belkin) *powered* USB 2.0 hub (since insufficient USB bus power is a common cause of USB devices misbehaving).

- Try contacting Focusrite for support.

- Or consider employing the technical consultancy services of Francois Ratte to see whether he could get it working for you remotely: http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com/ .
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

adri

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm

I went to a music store and they tested my unit with the conclusion it was truly broken; so I shelled out some money for a different unit with 6 speaker capacity with an eye in the future.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing