It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Affordable Audio Interfaces

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Jcvtpo

Affordable Audio Interfaces

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 6:50 am

Can anyone recommend affordable USB or Thunderbolt audio interfaces with at least 10 outputs? I know there are plenty of $$$$ options out there, but what are some reasonable options for a low-budget Hauptwerk project?

Thanks

jkinkennon

Re: Affordable Audio Interfaces

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 am

My choice would be the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 at $500 or the PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL at $400. You might get good results with the Behringer UMC1820 at $300, though my experience with Behringer has been a mix. I had bad luck with a previous interface but love their studio monitors.

I use the Focusrite model a lot and have a smaller version of the Presonus which works well.

magnaton

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 2:15 pm

jkinkennon wrote:You might get good results with the Behringer UMC1820 at $300, though my experience with Behringer has been a mix. I had bad luck with a previous interface but love their studio monitors.

Totally agree! There is also a Behringer FCA1616 which has mixed reviews regarding sound quality and driver compatibility on newer versions with Windows10. Many members have the M-AUDIO DELTA 1010 (10 outputs) which is no longer made but do show up on Ebay. Check out the Cymatic Audio LP-16 which is just under $400. I use the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid which has 14 independent channels has great sound and support.

Danny B.

dhm

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 3:06 pm

The only problem with the Behringer FCA 610 (possibly also other Behringer interfaces?) is that it won’t switch automatically from 48kHz samples to 44.1kHz and vice versa.
You have to either re-load the organ (it always works the 2nd time) or go to Engine > Advanced > Start Audio/MIDI.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

jrball

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 7:53 am

I'm still using a very old M-Audio Firewire 410 with 10 outputs.
I had to install Firewire card since the motherboard no longer supports it. Also the M-Audio code does not support sleep mode so PC has to be left on all the time. Occasionally the M-Audio code gets out of sorts and must be re-installed in a complicated sequence of steps. Its Control Panel is minimal and can be confusing.
However, when it works the sound is good. Newer interfaces are expensive so I'll hang on as long as possible.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing