It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am

Audio card recommendations wanted

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

EricMcK

Audio card recommendations wanted

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Greetings - it's time to expand the organ I built for a student of mine a couple years ago - he wants to branch out into multi-channel audio. I built a pretty fast, capable Win10 box for him at the time, and it has plenty of capacity. What audio cards do you recommend that can handle up to 12 channels (although we only need six at the moment)?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

organtechnology

Re: Audio card recommendations wanted

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Most 'plug-in' cards a la PCI went bye bye when the PCI legacy slots went away. Now most people use USB, Thunderbolt, USB/AVB modules. Plus there is a Audio over Ethernet system similar to MOTU AVB called Dante.
Costs are $60-$100/channel with $100/channel being the norm. If the computer has legacy PCI slots there are Delta 1010 and 1010LT cards still on the market. The drivers may or may not be available as M-Audio was purchased in the past couple of years and NO drivers for PCI cards were written with Win 10 in mind.

Cheapest route is at ~$200 for 8 channels analog and 2 SPDIF is the Behringer FCA610 Firewire module. But again the drivers for Win 10 may be an issue.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

EricMcK

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks Thomas - I’m not against going USB, even though the PC does have legacy PCI slots. Can you give me an example of a USB product solution? I’d love to see how the speakers connect via usb to the pc.

jkinkennon

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 pm

organtechnology

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 10:42 pm

EricMcK wrote:Thanks Thomas - I’m not against going USB, even though the PC does have legacy PCI slots. Can you give me an example of a USB product solution? I’d love to see how the speakers connect via usb to the pc.

Actually the speakers do not connect via USB they connect via 1/4" Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS) connectors to the audio module, and the audio module connects to the computer via USB. See Behringer FCA610 at Sweetwater.com.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mdyde

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 4:44 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

EricMcK

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Just thought I'd come by and close the loop here - we went with the Roland Octa-Capture Firewire/USB controller, and it is absolutely perfect. The trick now is trying to figure out how to get channels set up in HW - the HW user manual hasn't been too helpful.

IainStinson

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 pm

You might find this example helpful....
http://www.paramountorganworks.com/downloads/ParamountAudio.pdf

Iain

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing