It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

Cymatic LP-16 vs MOTU Ultralite mk3

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

montyjnc

Cymatic LP-16 vs MOTU Ultralite mk3

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 9:55 am

Greetings,

Can anyone tell me a significant advantage of either of these interfaces over one another? Also, I may be mixing threads here, but is it possible to use the inputs as outputs on the MOTU? Is either unit known for higher sound quality/latency? I currently have a Presonus Audiobox (just 2 outputs) and wanted to expand to surround sound/increase my sound quality.

Thanks for the advice!

montyjnc

Re: Cymatic LP-16 vs MOTU Ultralite mk3

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 am

BTW, the integrated reverb settings of MOTU are one definite feature I was considering. But, also wasn’t sure if it was useful or not.

sonar11

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 pm

I really can't recommend the motu ultralike mk3. I have one, and it is quite crummy. Either the device itself, or the windows drivers, but there are times when HW can't start because the device is "missing" (it's not, it's powered on and attached and rebooting the computer magically makes everything work again). There are times where the volume is several DB's lower than normal (like 75% of the normal gain) and again a restart of windows will magically set the volume back to normal. It doesn't "standby" correctly sometimes; I've walked into my room and heard some nasty squealing coming through one speaker (like a high pitched sine wav) even though the computer was suspended 3 hours (with no noise) before that. I've also just replaced the power supply (it's about 6 or 7 years old).

It's just not stable or dependable. Your mileage may vary.

magnaton

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 4:20 pm

I too am using the MOTU Ultralite Mk3. In contrast to Sonar11's comments, I feel the sound quality is excellent. It's a great value since you get 14 outputs (if you include the s/pdif port and headphone jack) plus the onboard reverb and EQ. Both of the latter are through the CueMix software that comes with it.

The reverb is nothing spectacular, very similar to the older, spring reverb from instrument amps or PA boards. There are 4 different ones to choose from and they all sound about the same. With HW you only need reverb for the true dry samples and it works well to moisten them up a bit so the sound doesn't get 'sucked back' into the speakers when you release a chord. The other advantage of this reverb is that the MOTU is providing it on any or all channels you desire. This saves from having to install a 3rd party plugin for HW and which in turn reduces any CPU load on your computer.

The minor complaint I have is the spring loaded on/off button. This defeats a 1 button start up sequence you might envision. You have to always manually start the unit unless you are using the Firewire connection then it will power-up automatically along with your HW computer.

I do have to empathize with Sonar11 as I have experienced the same issues. Here are my resolve and comments on those:

Device Missing - Careful startup sequence. I turn on MOTU as soon as the computer's CD Rom makes it's start up sound. Occasionally "Device Missing" still appears so I simply unplug and re-plug the MOTU's USB cable, exit HW then restart HW.

Change of volume - Haven't noticed it that much lately. My range has been more of a 10% drop to a 20% gain. The gain being very rare. No resolution, just restart both MOTU and computer.

High pitched squeal - Never an issue with when set at 44.1Hz. I think all my organs are 48Hz however I always start with St. Anne's at 44.1 which sends the setting over to the MOTU. The numbers flash when the receiving the signal. I'm then 'cleared' to load any other organ (44.1 or 48).

After writing this post, it sounds like I may have some tuff love for my MOTU unit. :) A friend close by here just purchased this exact unit from Ebay. Both of our firmware releases are the same. The serial number on his looks like a much later manufacturing date than mine.

Danny B.

sonar11

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 4:50 pm

magnaton wrote:I too am using the MOTU Ultralite Mk3. In contrast to Sonar11's comments, I feel the sound quality is excellent.

Danny, I don't actually have a problem with the sound quality; I think it sounds very good for the most part.

I would love to try the motu 24 ao, but totally gun shy on motu at this point. They're quite hostile to linux as well so I just think, "why bother; go somewhere where the company actually cares."

lupham

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 pm

I have Cymatic on mine and works perfect.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing