It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

Multi channel Reaper

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ppytprs

Re: Multi channel Reaper

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 4:01 pm

No, I normally find them much more helpful. Perhaps I should update the tutorial!

jbittner

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 4:32 pm

josq wrote:Reaper will receive these audio outputs on separate tracks (as I just described above), which will enable you to send them to separate hardware outputs (=speakers/speaker pairs).

Yes, no problem getting six discrete channels (configured as 3 stereo pairs) to appear on six separate inputs in Reaper, nor was there a problem routing them to six separate outputs. The problem was that each output had a mix of all the channels, not just the one assigned to it in the output matrix. At the time, the tutorial was no help in resolving the issue as the Reaper interface had changed, but according to the Reaper documentation, what I had done should have worked.

Anyway, this was a couple of years ago and I've moved on, but thanks for taking the time to help. Perhaps I'll find reason to try it again someday.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

organtechnology

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 11:06 am

Hi,
I believe that the first stereo pair is selected under Routing in Reaper as HW chs 1-2. Then in the next stereo pair you select Chs 3-4 as the pair and in the third you select Chs 5-6. Other than that selection i think you have done the rest correctly.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jkinkennon

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 1:57 pm

I would be happy to email a Reaper config file to anyone who requests one. My email address is listed on the web site shown in my signature. As time allows I'd consider doing a configuration that matched a particular number of speakers front and rear and sub(s).

I keep meaning to write up how I configure Reaper for a modestly complex complex multi-channel setup with additional piano/bells emulation, Seventh Heaven reverb, and pedal channel filtering. Sometimes a couple of screenshots of preference settings are extremely helpful.

Time. More needed, please.

Thomday

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Found this discussion on using Reaper. I need some help. Our current set up uses two Audiofire 12 channel mixers ganged to make a total of 24 channels, of which we are using 20. I have the input and output aliases set up in Reaper with the correct outputs supposedly going to the correct channels of the Audiiofires, but they don't. The Hardware names in the In and out aliases are not correct and don't change. So my big question is how do you change the hardware names in Reaper to be the correct channels to the Audiofres?
Since the Audiofires have different serial #'s, I can designate them as 15 and 22, with the 15 being the first one with 12 channels and the 22 second with the remaining 8 channels. This initially set itself up with the 22 as the first 12 channels and the 15 as the second 8 channels. I need to change this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Thom

josq

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 3:05 am

Dear Thom, I guess we first need to know if the basics are OK... Do you get sound? Can you route the audio to the different channels as desired, even though the aliases are not correct?

In Reaper, what do you see in the "options>>preferences" screen under "Audio>>Device"? (select ASIO as the audio system). Which audio outputs are available and which are selected as the first and last outputs?

Thomday

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 11:21 am

Josq:
Thanks for the reply. I typed a message and saved it as a draft and now can't find out how to retrieve it, so I will start over. I have Reaper set up with 13 tracks plus a master. Track 1 receives Hauptwerk VST 32 bit with 32 channels, not sure why. there are 32. I have 2 Audiofire 12 mixers ganged together as an agregate device with a total of 24 channels, of which I am using 20. Tracks are set up as main 1&2, main 3&4, main 5&6, main 7&8, solo 1&2, solo 3&4, solo 5&6, solo 7&8, solo9, solo 10, solo 11, solo 12. Routing is set up to send the first 12 outputs to Audiofire 15 and the remaining 8 to Audiofire 22. However, in setting up the alias names in the input and output sections, while the alias names are correct, the hardware output designations are not. Audiofire 22 comes up first and 15 comes up second. The result is that channels get sent to the wrong Audiofires. Thus my question;
how and where do the hardware designations get changed? The routing matrix screen is set to send channels where I want them, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. In answer to your questions, ASIO is not available.
Not sure where to find the answer to which output is designated as first and last.
I have been working with this for about 3 weeks with no success, and am running out of time to get this done.
everything does play, just not where I want the voices sent.
Thanks

josq

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Hm didnt realize ASIO is mainly used for Windows. Does this link give you some useful info? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie- ... -12-a.html

chrisemtpa

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 11:10 am

Good Morning,

I am having a similar issue with M-Audio 1010LT. I have been using HW for many years now, and I think may have only just noticed the issue as I used HW with actual pipework but no longer am using it this way.

I have HW setup with Great Channels 1-2 Swell Channels 3-4 Choir Channels 5-6 Pedal Channels 7-8

In Reaper I get the respective audio in those channels however reaper still feeds everything to channels 1 and 2 which naturally causes a ton of distortion.

I am having issues routing the audio from the Hauptwerk vst directly to the Audio out and still have reverb added in. I followed the reaper manual for HW but that did not help at all.

I do not use Reaper to record audio or midi.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or if there is other software that is easier to add reverb. If I can not get this to work I am going to look into external hardware processors to place between the PC and Amplifiers.

josq

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Suggestion: on each track in Reaper, click the route button and check if "master send" is ticked. Untick if needed.

chrisemtpa

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 pm

I will check again when I get home, I believe it is unchecked.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing