It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

Launchpad light 'on' for combination pistons?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

damuehlbauer

Launchpad light 'on' for combination pistons?

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 6:04 pm

I have a Behringer touch control setup for my Paramount 320, using the Novation Launchpad emulation. It works, but is there any way to have the button stay illuminated when I have pushed it? I have a couple stops programmed, and they are illuminated when 'on'. I understand that combinations are momentary by nature, but it would be helpful if they stayed illuminated until I pushed a different one or cancelled the division or all.

Thoughts?
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

Frank_VTPO

Re: Launchpad light 'on' for combination pistons?

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 2:27 am

Very good question!
I experience the same with a Novation LaunchPad and the Paramount 450.
Also here, it would be helpful when the combination thumb piston stayed on.
What confuses me is the fact that on the stop layout screen the light remains on whereas the LaunchPad button lights up only for the moment while it is depressed. A solution for this would be very helpful.

mnailor

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 8:06 am

The combination pistons are momentary; the combination is triggered, sets the registration, then it isn't "on" any more because the action is finished. The combination's light on the screen stays on as long as the stops match that combination, but this is independent of the piston press action. The HW master combinations light up even if you hand select the same stops. So an external light won't stay on because the piston was only active when it was momentarily triggered.

magnaton

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 am

Yes. Use Hauptwerk's own registration buttons as they remain lit (on) when that combination activated/detected. Quick test; save a registration to one of HW's Master generals using the "Registration" menu screen. Then right click to auto-detect that master general to a Launchpad (Behringer touch) button.

Danny B.

Frank_VTPO

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Ok. I understand that the steadily illuminated buttons can be achieved with the Hauptwerk combination buttons. However, will this also work for the divisional combination pistons (which are frequently used in theatre organs)?

mnailor

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Assuming you tested Magnaton's idea with a master general and the console or MIDI controller light stayed on, the same should work for master scoped combinations. They can be set as divisionals.

magnaton

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Yes. Review p.101 of the HW Manual on scoped pistons. Scoped pistons can be defined as divisionals, custom divisional (i.e. controlling Acc & Ped), or even more Generals 8)

Danny B.

damuehlbauer

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for everyone's help. I can confirm that the Master Generals and the Master Scoped Combinations do, in fact behave as I wanted. The touchpad button stays illuminated as long as the tabs match the 'set' combination.

The downside will be that the on-screen combination buttons don't work, but I don't currently have a touchscreen for my computer, so that is not a problem for me. My future plan is a dedicated computer and touchscreen so I will be able to make stop changes more easily. For now, I am limited to the combination pistons, using the touchpad. But this works!

:D
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

magnaton

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 5:12 pm

damuehlbauer wrote:The downside will be that the on-screen combination buttons don't work, but I don't currently have a touchscreen for my computer, so that is not a problem for me. My future plan is a dedicated computer and touchscreen so I will be able to make stop changes more easily. For now, I am limited to the combination pistons, using the touchpad. But this works!

If you want or like to keep the Paramount's registrations assigned to its on screen pistons, you can re-save them to the HW's Master and scope pistons. For example, Paramount's Gen 1 piston is the same as HW's Gen 1 thus you get the light.

Since theatre organ playing usually requires fast, exact registration changes, you can't beat the tactile feel and precise execution of real buttons that on you have on your touchpad. I have both a Launchpad and touchscreen monitor and only use the touch screen for editing or building new registrations.

Danny B.

Frank_VTPO

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 3:28 am

Thank you everyone for the great help!
I cannot test it right now, but certainly will, as soon I apply changes to my console and have time to dive into the matter deeply, again.
Best regards,
Frank

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 pm

In addition to the comments from others:

If any given virtual combination button/piston lights on the screen (i.e. is 'stateful'/latching) then it can send MIDI output to control a lamp in an original ('mark 1') Novation Launchpad model, in the same way as for any virtual stop. (If the button/piston doesn't light/latch on the screen then it can't send latching stateful/latching MIDI output.)

To configure a virtual stop/piston/button to work with a Launchpad (mark 1) button, make sure that the Launchpad's MIDI IN port is enabled on Hauptwerk's MIDI IN ports screen tab, and *also* that its MIDI OUT port is enabled on Hauptwerk's MIDI OUT ports screen tab, then just auto-detect the virtual stop/piston/button. (Whether Hauptwerk can control the lamps in Behringer's version, we don't know, since Hauptwerk looks to see whether the MIDI port name contains the text 'Launchpad' in order to determine whether to apply the appropriate special Launchpad MIDI implementation.)
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

damuehlbauer

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 pm

I can confirm that the lamps work just fine on the Behringer when you set it to emulate the Novation Launchpad.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing