It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

Audio Interface to a Rodgers 610

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

laura.bela

Audio Interface to a Rodgers 610

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm

I have a Rodgers digital Model 610 with (I think) MIDI 2. This instrument also has the little black box that has MIDI in and out, audios in and out, etc. I also have an independent stereo system. If I want to connect everything to my Hauptwerk program via USB, can someone make a recommendation for a reasonably priced, trouble-free audio/midi interface? I am looking for something between $175-300.

Laura

magnaton

Re: Audio Interface to a Rodgers 610

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 am

For a good overview of what is available and what is popular for Hauptwerk, search the forum for "audio interface". Here is a recent thread on comparing 2 inexpensive audio interfaces:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16798

Danny B.

organtechnology

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 am

laura.bela wrote:I have a Rodgers digital Model 610 with (I think) MIDI 2. This instrument also has the little black box that has MIDI in and out, audios in and out, etc. I also have an independent stereo system. If I want to connect everything to my Hauptwerk program via USB, can someone make a recommendation for a reasonably priced, trouble-free audio/midi interface? I am looking for something between $175-300.

Laura

Seems like the Behringer FCA 610 in USB mode might be the best fit. ~$200.00 at Sweetwater.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

laura.bela

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Thank you for the advice! Frankly, I was concerned about buying too much or to little for what I need. Appreciated.

laura.bela

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 1:55 pm

I don’t see Roland mentioned very often but was wondering what people thought. I was looking specifically the Roland Rubix 24 USB Audio Interface.

magnaton

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 6:52 pm

laura.bela wrote:I don’t see Roland mentioned very often but was wondering what people thought. I was looking specifically the Roland Rubix 24 USB Audio Interface.

I personally am not familiar with that unit. However here is some quick background info (forgive me if you know this already). Most audio interfaces are designed for studio recording work where you need both inputs and outputs. For Hauptwerk only the outputs are needed so we tend to favor those units that offer the most outputs within our price range. Some interfaces offer native EQ and maybe some effects (i.e. reverb, delay, etc.) which adds to the cost. I personally appreciate and use those features. If you're thinking up upgrading to multichannel audio someday, (BTW doing so raises Hauptwerk to a whole other level) I'd consider a unit with more than 4 channels which is what the Roland Rubix 24 is offering.

Danny B.

laura.bela

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks, Danny! That is truly helpful. I am gradually learning this. If I’m correct, I guess what i need is a MIDI input and an audio (USB?) input only. Then a LOT more options for outputs, especially for further audio expansion. I’ll continue to research!

magnaton

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 10:35 pm

laura.bela wrote:If I’m correct, I guess what i need is a MIDI input and an audio (USB?) input only. Then a LOT more options for outputs, especially for further audio expansion. I’ll continue to research!

Just to be clear, a MIDI interface to your computer is for your keyboards, pedal board, stop controls, expression pedal(s), etc. so that you can operate the "virtual" keyboards, pedal board, stop controls, etc. of the organ you have loaded. An audio interface, as the name implies, is mainly if not chiefly for audio. Many audio interfaces have a MIDI ports as well to offer a convenience of connectivity in your setup. The recommended connection of an audio interface is by USB2 or Thunderbolt. Before USB2, Firewire was the best (only?) protocol available that could handle the throughput. I think its safe to say most Firewire interface models are being phased out as USB2 & USB3 are now standard along with Thunderbolt for Macs.

There are several methods to go about connecting multiple USB devices to your computer. The simplest is a dedicated USB to MIDI interface like the iConnectivity mio or Roland UM-one.

Not to muddy the waters, the MIDI "IN" port on an audio interface so equipped can be used for your Hauptwerk organ as well. Thus the simplicity of one USB cable connection that handles both audio out (being sent to amp/speakers) and MIDI IN (to accept the MIDI signals from your controllers). As a warning, it has been mentioned on the forum here that running the respective upper limit of audio channels and MIDI traffic can over-task these units. The solution is to simply separate the MIDI to a dedicated MIDI interface as I mentioned previously.

Danny B.

organtechnology

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi Laura,

Please forgive me if I am being overly simplistic or pedantic in explaining this.

There are four components to the Hauptwerk system:

1.) Is the MIDI console which sends the MIDI-out signals to the Hauptwerk computer MIDI Input usually via a MIDI-USB cable as Danny has described. . You 'teach' Hauptwerk what the signals from the console are supposed to do. i.e Keys on the console play virtual keys on the Hauptwerk screen.

2. The second thing is the Hauptwerk computer itself which contains the Hauptwerk program and the Organ Sample Sets where the organ pipe sounds are stored. Hauptwerk also has an extensive combination system which uses thumb pistons to control which combination is selected. The console combination system is not used to control Hauptwerk as in most cases they do not play well together.

3.) To the Hauptwerk computer (or internal to it in some cases) is attached the Sound Module which takes the purely digital streaming audio from Hauptwerk (usually via USB, Thunderbolt or Firewire) and turns this stream into audio output channels to which are connected the amplifiers and loudspeakers.

4.) The actual amplifiers and loudspeakers themselved and or headphones.

Thus your 610 is used as a MIDI control console which sends MIDI to the Hauptwerk computer. Hauptwerk is organized an an entire organ and not as a box of pipes or Standard MIDI Voices. Although you CAN play the 610 sounds and Hauptwerk together you probably will not want to for very long.

I hope this helps just a little and thanks to Danny for sharing his expertise too.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

laura.bela

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Thank you again Danny. And thank you, Thomas for chiming in. Currently, I am using a Mio to connect my computer to my Rodgers. It works excellently. However, I am wringing my hands about the audio. I currently am running audio out of the headphone jack to a consumer grade surround sound system. It works but I suspect it could be much better. Soooo....now I need to take the plunge on a multi-channel interface and eventually a high end multi-channel amplifier that will allow me to split out the channels. Does this make sense?

Laura

organtechnology

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 4:44 pm

laura.bela wrote:Thank you again Danny. And thank you, Thomas for chiming in. Currently, I am using a Mio to connect my computer to my Rodgers. It works excellently.

However, I am wringing my hands about the audio. I currently am running audio out of the headphone jack (on what device?) to a consumer grade surround sound system.

It works but I suspect it could be much better. Soooo....now I need to take the plunge on a multi-channel interface and eventually a high end multi-channel amplifier that will allow me to split out the channels. Does this make sense?What do you plan on connecting the multi-channel interface to?

Laura

My comments are in italics embedded in your comments.

laura.bela

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 7:35 pm

I have an stereo mini jack that goes into the headphone jack of my laptop running the hauptwerk and splits out into my Yamaha amplifier. I'm guessing that's not very high tech.

I was thinking that the multi channel audio interface (like a Behringer FCA610) would connect to my computer via usb and give me the capacity to do more than just two-channels. That's all I can do right now with my Yamaha amp so I will need a new amplifier eventually. The Yamaha is powering 4 speakers and a subwoofer but I can only input two channels.

organtechnology

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 am

laura.bela wrote:I have an stereo mini jack that goes into the headphone jack of my laptop running the hauptwerk and splits out into my Yamaha amplifier. I'm guessing that's not very high tech.

I was thinking that the multi channel audio interface (like a Behringer FCA610) would connect to my computer via usb and give me the capacity to do more than just two-channels. That's all I can do right now with my Yamaha amp so I will need a new amplifier eventually. The Yamaha is powering 4 speakers and a subwoofer but I can only input two channels.

Hi Laura,

There is a slightly 'higher tech' solution that is very inexpensive. That is a Behringer UCA222 which is a two channel USB audio box that costs less than $30 at Sweetwater. It even has an ASIO (usually pronounced ahz-e-o) driver which makes for a pretty good/cheap audio for a laptop. I would suggest you get one instead of using the computer audio if your laptop is a PC. If it is a MacBook then the Apple Core Audio is just as good for two channel ASIO audio.

Also if you don't have the Advanced Hauptwerk yet, then two channels are all that is available to you so expanding doesn't make much sense to buy a multi-channel system until you do.

I am currently working with an organist to convert an old Johannus 3-manual to a 4-manual+P and she has a MacBook dedicated to the project which works just fine for 2-channels.

Good luck on getting it all setup and running like you want. Sounds like you are almost there.

Thomas

laura.bela

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 am

Thanks, Thomas. I already purchased the FCA610 so, hopefully, that will work out. I hope to get the Advanced version sometime once I am convinced that this is good tonal option. I don’t mind the sounds of the Rodgers but love the potential versatility that Hauptwerk offers.

I know this is your bread and butter so I really appreciate your knowledge and input. Very kind of you.

Laura
LVBMusic.com

magnaton

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 am

laura.bela wrote:I already purchased the FCA610 so, hopefully, that will work out. I hope to get the Advanced version sometime once I am convinced that this is good tonal option.

You should immediately hear an improvement in audio fidelity as well as some details of certain pipe samples compared to the computer's consumer grade headphone jack.

laura.bela wrote:I don’t mind the sounds of the Rodgers but love the potential versatility that Hauptwerk offers.

It is my belief (also confirmed by others) that the ear can become sophisticated pretty fast. I just played a service and on a Rodgers Allegiant series organ in a medium sized historic church with average acoustics. The sound was very sterile or should I say it sounded like a digital organ. This little instrument wasn't fooling anyone (unfortunately) that it could be a pipe organ.

Danny B.
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing