It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

Engine Audio/MIDI reset

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Engine Audio/MIDI reset

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:13 am

Can the reset be done internally in Hauptwerk when H/W is ready to play?

Presently I have reduced the startup time by eliminating the wait before H/W starts (looking for external audio/MIDI components).. The synchronizing between MOTU Ultralite AVB and the 24 Ao takes longer than allowed when H/W "looks" for these components at the beginning of H/W loading as expected. However by resetting the audio/MIDI engine after everything is loaded/synchroinzed, H/W excepts that as ok. So this would be a "second" reset sort of.

Temporarily I use an external encoder/decoder connected to the ((Advanced MIDI - Misc state output audio ((or MIDI)) active, etc) "ready to play signal" to a decoder, output of the decoder via a relay to the encoder connected to the above reset. Works fine all of time. just not the cleanest way to do it hense the question.

We leave the Ultralite AVB (in the console) powered 24/7. An issue happens when the console is unplugged from power and moved to a different physical location. If the computer is started before the Ultralite AVB is "ready to go", H/W says there is no MIDI or audio interface connected, which is the case at that time and expected as well. There is a "reboot" button for that case available. By the time the reboot is finished, the UltraLite AVB is, of course, ready to go..Most of the time, there is no need to reboot.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

organtechnology

Re: Engine Audio/MIDI reset

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:48 am

MOTU has a mod that allows the system to go off and back on when power is applied. It requires sending them the module to be modified. This eliminates the "can't find the audio module" problem The remote module (24Ao?) may not need to be reset.

Thomas

engrssc wrote:Can the reset be done internally in Hauptwerk when H/W is ready to play?

Presently I have reduced the startup time by eliminating the wait before H/W starts (looking for external audio/MIDI components).. The synchronizing between MOTU Ultralite AVB and the 24 Ao takes longer than allowed when H/W "looks" for these components at the beginning of H/W loading as expected. However by resetting the audio/MIDI engine after everything is loaded/synchroinzed, H/W excepts that as ok. So this would be a "second" reset sort of.

Temorarily I use an external encoder/encoder connected to the ((Advanced MIDI - Misc state output audio ((or MIDI)) active, etc) "ready to play signal" to a decoder, output of the decoder via a relay to the encoder connected to the above reset. Works fine all of time. just not the cleanest way to do it hense the question.

We leave the Ultralite AVB (in the console) powered 24/7. An issue happens when the console is unplugged from power and moved to a different physical location. If the computer is started before the Ultralite AVB is "ready to go", H/W says there is no MIDI or audio interface connected, which is the case at that time and expected as well. There is a "reboot" button for that case available. By the time the reboot is finished, the UltraLite AVB is, of course, ready to go..Most of the time, there is no need to reboot.

Rgds,
Ed
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Thomas,

I'm familiar with the mod you are possibly referring to and have had the UltraLite AVB already modified. (no need to operate the power - on switch.) The problem is when ever there is a (AVB - Ethernet) disconnect between the two - (UltraLite AVB and the 24 Ao) when reconnected, they have to re-sync. One reason, the clock source is the UltraLite AVB. In our case, when the console is moved from the rear of the auditorium (it's norm) to the front concert position, both power and the Ethernet cable(s) are disconnected.

After being reconnected and synchronized, Hauptwerk doesn't recognize either box until the Engine Audio/MIDI is reset. At this point, everything works, only the added time it takes to reestablish/resync. The Allen and Rodgers dealers both have said there is no such delay with their instruments, which is true.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi Ed,

I think that the church in Ft. Worth removes all the power from both console and speaker chamber where the 24Ao is located each week. However they do not remove the CAT6 cable. Maybe that is the difference.The organist knows to reboot the computer if anything goes awry on start up but she is building her own Hauptwerk to practice on too.

I do not think a Dante system would have that problem either.

Thomas

engrssc wrote:Hi Thomas,

I'm familiar with the mod you are possibly referring to and have had the UltraLite AVB already modified. (no need to operate the power - on switch.) The problem is when ever there is a (AVB - Ethernet) disconnect between the two - (UltraLite AVB and the 24 Ao) when reconnected, they have to re-sync. One reason, the clock source is the UltraLite AVB. In our case, when the console is moved from the rear of the auditorium (it's norm) to the front concert position, both power and the Ethernet cable(s) are disconnected.

After being reconnected and synchronized, Hauptwerk doesn't recognize either box until the Engine Audio/MIDI is reset. At this point, everything works, only the added time it takes to reestablish/resync. The Allen and Rodgers dealers both have said there is no such delay with their instruments, which is true.

Rgds,
Ed
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 pm

The AVB system is working fine. The problem is how long it takes for H/W to load which has caused these measures in an attempt to shorten the time.

And back to my original question if there is a way within Hauptwerk to do a reset of the Audio/MIDI Engine at the time the organ is ready to play. I'm doing just
that with external components (a decoder and an encoder). I just think of that "solution" as being klutsy. This so called solution has been working with no issues. Unfortunately the #1 organist wants nothing at all to do with computers in any form.

If anyone can come up with a Dante system for $1200, I'm interested. We are using 24 audio channels. $1200 was the cost of the MOTU AVB components. Both boxes were sent to MOTU for testing with perfect test results. The distance between the console and the 2 speaker chambers is 160 ft. AVB is good for 400 meters with 128 ASIO audio channels between 2 boxes. More using an AVB switch.

The custom 3-way Walker speakers are driven by 3 - Crown CT 8150 amps. The House Wrecker sub has it's own 1200 watt plate amp.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing