It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

MIDI interface renaming

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

abaymajr

MIDI interface renaming

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 am

I use a MIDI virtual interface software and since its latest release the name of the virtual MIDI device lost the discriminant number. What it was before "BOME MIDI Translator 1" is now "BOME MIDI Translator" only. The problem is that many complex settings on the Hauptwerk side rely on the old name. To avoid redoing a lot of hard work, is there any way to automatically and globally rename Hauptwerk settings from "BOME MIDI Translator 1" to the new name "BOME MIDI Translator"? I reinstalled the old v1.8.2 BMT release until this might be clarified.

IainStinson

Re: MIDI interface renaming

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 am

You might look at
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14993&p=112035&hilit=+changing+midi+#p111950

This procedure did work for me.

You must keep the old name of the device present when you start HW (take the option to keep devices which are offline when you start) and you need to enable the "new device" so HW sees both the old name (which is offline) and the new name.

You need to do this for each sample set.

You should take a HW backup first!

Good luck.

Iain

dhm

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Another possible solution is to *manually* adjust the MIDI input/output settings for all keyboards, stops, etc, from [name of current device] to “Any enabled port”. The only drawback is that you have to mark the “missing” device as offline every time you launch HW. The advantage is that you don’t have to re-do all your MIDI settings.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

abaymajr

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 am

dhm wrote:Another possible solution is to *manually* adjust the MIDI input/output settings for all keyboards, stops, etc, from [name of current device] to “Any enabled port”. The only drawback is that you have to mark the “missing” device as offline every time you launch HW. The advantage is that you don’t have to re-do all your MIDI settings.

Yes. This is a generic solution. The problem is that, in the case of Bome MIDI Translator, I would take the risk of some of many MIDI messages being processed in duplicity, from Bome Virtual port and from the MIDI interface itself.

abaymajr

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 7:03 am

IainStinson wrote:You might look at
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14993&p=112035&hilit=+changing+midi+#p111950

This procedure did work for me.

You must keep the old name of the device present when you start HW (take the option to keep devices which are offline when you start) and you need to enable the "new device" so HW sees both the old name (which is offline) and the new name.

You need to do this for each sample set.

You should take a HW backup first!

Good luck.

Iain

Thanks Ian. I managed to recreate the old MIDI device name with the new BOME v1.8.3. It was a little tricky but enough until a definite fix. I bookmarked this thread in the case of a future need. Anyway, it would be great for a next Hauptwerk release to have a feature that would change automatically removed MIDI interface entries into another ones, and/or ask for a temporarily routing to an available one. Hauptwerk customization can reach very high level of complexity to risk loosing those settings accidentally.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing