It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am

Analog line out mini jack | Mac Pro cylinder

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

SKresge

Analog line out mini jack | Mac Pro cylinder

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Has anyone had success using the analog line out mini jack with the mac pro 2013 cylinder?

I have a 3.5mm to 1/4" y splitter cable, but that cable only works with the headphone jack to the receiver.

Any insight would be appreciated. Just thinking the sound would be better using the analog line out, but i know very little about audio.

Scott

larason2

Re: Analog line out mini jack | Mac Pro cylinder

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 pm

I think the output you are referring to is the optical digital audio output jack. I have no experience with the system you have or with digital audio outs, but I may be able to help. Right now it sounds like you are feeding your speakers through the headphone jack to a 1/4 inch splitter. You would have to get a digital audio cable and a converter to convert the audio to analog anyway, to connect to your speakers using the digital audio out. If the converter has a better DAC you might notice slightly better quality, but the Mac has pretty good digital audio conversion already. A cheap converter would probably sound no better and maybe worse. Digital audio outs are mostly to connect to a home theatre system, I believe, which aren’t the best for Hauptwerk. If you want better sounds, I would recommend a USB or FireWire audio interface (though again, may not be better depending on how expensive it is, and what kind of DAC it uses).

1961TC4ME

Re: Analog line out mini jack | Mac Pro cylinder

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 11:17 am

I just looked over the specs for the Mac Pro Cylinder and it states it has in addition to the headphone jack a
'Combined optical digital audio output/analog line out minijack.' This jack is best suited for use if your receiver, TV, etc. has this provision as an input. If not so equipped you are then having to convert the signal from digital to analog with some sort of digital to analog converter first, and then to your receiver to the current analog inputs you are now using anyways which in my opinion is not worth the cost and effort. The odds of hearing a sound improvement are slim to none and you'd likely notice the signal input to the receiver using this method is rather weak in comparison to how you're doing things now.

Stick with your current headphone jack to receiver arrangement.

Marc

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing