It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

Need help: Hooking up Hauptwerk to a Viscount DOMUS 830

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

adri

Need help: Hooking up Hauptwerk to a Viscount DOMUS 830

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:29 am

A local music school likes to explore Hauptwerk. I’m friends with the teacher.

They have a 2 man. Viscount model Cant. 300 I believe. It's a DOMUS 830!

Is this as simple as connecting the midi out port to an external soundcard and to a computer running Hauptwerk?

Will the organ’s internal speakers work?

Is there a way to use the stop knobs and yet silence the organ’s own sound?

Whatever else I would benefit from knowing will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Last edited by adri on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

josq

Re: Need help: Hooking up Hauptwerk to a Viscount.

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 am

* yes, either use a normal MIDI cable to a soundcard, or an USB-MIDI cable directly to the computer, and run the normal Hauptwerk procedure to detect MIDI devices

* yes, connect the audio outputs on your external soundcard to the aux input of the organ (if present) using the appropriate audio cables and connectors

* yes, if the stop knobs generate MIDI signals. A simple hack to silence the organs own sound is to insert a headphone plug, but perhaps this is not useful if you want to use the internal speakers.

Please let us know the exact model if you need more specific info.

Jmecho

Re: Need help: Hooking up Hauptwerk to a Viscount.

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 8:29 am

Hi,

For your 3rd question, have a look at this video on minute 7’45”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwTicg ... 9&index=13

Regards,
Joaquín

adri

Re: Need help: Hooking up Hauptwerk to a Viscount DOMUS 830

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 am

Update:
It's DOMUS 830 model.
After some initial trial and error, we finally got it to play to my laptop with the organ's keyboards.

But the latency was bad, and I am not sure how to make it play faster. It's quite sluggish, worse than a bad pneumatic organ.

Other than that, I have no idea if the internal speakers of the organ could be used, which don't sound too bad.

And whether the stop tabs could be used, including the couplers. And the swell pedal.

As you can see, I am real ignoramus when it comes to these kinds of things. I am organologist, not an electronics wizzard. :-)

evertjan

Re: Need help: Hooking up Hauptwerk to a Viscount DOMUS 830

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 7:25 am

The latency is the result of using Windows audio drivers instead of ASIO drivers.
Because the laptop doesn't have a professional sound card on board, you have to use the generic ASIO4ALL driver from http://www.asio4all.com.
After installing this driver select this ASIO in HW on line 1 and 2 in the General Settings | Audio Outputs screen

If the organ has a line input (most on the backside of the organ), you have to connect the line output of the laptop with the line input.

You can try to use the stop tabs of the Viscount, using midi learn on a stop of the sample set and use a stop tab of the Domus. If recognized by HW, the stop tabs generates a MIDI signal.
Before doing that go to menu General settings | General Preferences on tab Main and set the "MIDI hardware/console" to Viscount and the give the MIDI learn with the tabs a try.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing