It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

desperate help needed with my RME Fireface UCX

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

adri

desperate help needed with my RME Fireface UCX

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 am

Hello fellow Hauptwerkians,

When I had two monitors, my RME Fireface UCX was working just fine, and the sound was coming through L1/2, by default (cables plugged into 1 and 2 output).`

I bought two additional monitors for the purpose of surround sound and tried to follow directions given by Darryll Wood, but now thigns are so badly messed up that I do not get any sound at all! in Hauptwerk, and on the software interface nothing lights up. The 2nd/3rd monitors are plugged into 3&4 output in the back.

Outside of Hauptwerk I still have sound, but only through the first two speakers via L1. Like to have a 4 speaker sound as well.

I am a total idiot when it comes to digitally steered sound, and I desparately need a child-walk-through approach.

What is ADAT, and should I avoid it? In Hauptwerk's audio setup (line) 1+2 don't show up; what would be their default name? And what about the 2nd set of monitors?

I am at a complete loss and need help desperately. The RME videos on the American website have been useless to me, as well as the RME Manual (which seems written for very advanced users).

I am more than willing to call you long distance (I am in Serbia); just PM me your phone number, time zone and best time to call.

I would be eternally grateful.

All the best,
Adri

IainStinson

Re: desperate help needed with my RME Fireface UCX

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 6:11 am

I've sent you a message... which may help.
Iain

IainStinson

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 am

To use ADAT output from the interface for speakers, you would need to install another unit such as the ADI-8 http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_8_qs.php which connects the analogue outputs to the speakers ( up to 8 additional outputs) which is in turn connected to the UCX by a optical connection. The ADI-8 unit would convert the digital signal to analogue audio and would need to be of a similar quality to the RME unit.

There can be complications with some ADAT connections in the areas of sample set rate changing and the number of channels which can be carried which is related to sampleset rate.

I would avoid ADAT if possible...

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT_Lightpipe for details of ADAT

mnailor

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 11:16 am

I have a UCX but am away on vacation so I can't look at it.

It sounds like you need help with two things:

1. Software channel names seen by Hauptwerk to include in your audio groups. I believe it's something like AN3 and 4 you're looking for. You're using analog outputs 1 2 3 4, so using the corresponding software inputs is less confusing. ADAT, phones, and AES channels aren't the droids you're looking for.

2. Totalmix FX mixer. The manual assumes you know how a real recording studio mixer's channel strips work, which you can probably get from google. But if you do a factory reset, I seem to remember the default mix sent software inputs directly to their corresponding outputs like you want it to. If you're not feeling lucky enough for a factory reset, save your mix to a different mix number 2 - 8 and use the matrix view function (instead of channel strip view) to see where each input goes. You can change routing there by clicking the appropriate cells.

adri

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 4:16 pm

thanks everyone; got my problems fixed!

once you see how it's done, it seems easy enough. But it seemed like walking 10 miles to get there.... :D

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing