It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

Need a different explanation

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Need a different explanation

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 10:41 am

Trying to help a (remote) friend, an older gentleman (new to Hauptwerk and not esp computer savy) connect a piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument to play from a Hauptwerk Rodgers/conversion. What he wants to do is to have the lower (Choir) manual be able to 1. play the Choir manual normally, 2. play the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument iindependently, and 3. play both the HW Chioir manual and the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument together. Using momentary (pistons) switches.

The lower Choir manual (keyboard) has touch responce and is working fine with HW and of course has MIDI output. The piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument has a MIDI input and a MIDI cable running between it and the HW console.

I've tried to explain the how to, but at this point, I think my explanations are on the verge of confusing him. Would appreciate a fresh (explanation) approach to doing this in simple terms that he may understand.

Rgds,
Ed

RichardW

Re: Need a different explanation

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 2:29 pm

As an over view, he wants to add the "piano" as another stop on the organ. That implies a MIDI connection between organ and piano.

Now, if he wants the sound of the piano to come out of the same speakers as the organ then that implies a sound connection between systems as well.

Exactly how you control whether the MIDI signal reaches the piano or not will depend on what settings and controls you have available. I used to have a controller keyboard and it would have been easy. You could switch on and off any MIDI output you wanted (up to 4) with a switch.

Was that the kind of level you wanted or are you trying to get into the details as well?
Richard

organtechnology

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 2:44 pm

engrssc wrote:Trying to help a (remote) friend, an older gentleman (new to Hauptwerk and not esp computer savy) connect a piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument to play from a Hauptwerk Rodgers/conversion.

What he wants to do is to have the lower (Choir) manual be able to 1. play the Choir manual normally, 2. play the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument iindependently, and 3. play both the HW Chioir manual and the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument together. Using momentary (pistons) switches.

The lower Choir manual (keyboard) has touch responce and is working fine with HW and of course has MIDI output. The piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument has a MIDI input and a MIDI cable running between it and the HW console.

I've tried to explain the how to, but at this point, I think my explanations are on the verge of confusing him. Would appreciate a fresh (explanation) approach to doing this in simple terms that he may understand.

Rgds,
Ed

What he wants to do is to have the lower (Choir) manual be able to
1. play the Choir manual normally, Normal HW operation so no change for this.

2. play the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument iindependently, Need to clear stops in Choir, turn on MIDI out.

3. play both the HW Chioir manual and the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument together.Turn on Choir stops and MIDI out at same time.

Using momentary (pistons) switches.
What virtual control that can be controlled by a real piston can be used to turn Choir MIDI out On or Off?
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

IainStinson

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 4:36 pm

You could try this ( untested)
(Manual Pg 158)
1.Select a stop you don’t want to use on the choir division. This will be used to control the digital piano. It essentially becomes a midi out stop.
2. Select organ | Advanced MIDI applications:| Direct MIDI input/output for ranks/pipes
Select the stop you have chosen in 1. On the midi output tab complete the information to drive the midi piano.
3. Adjust the ranks which are loaded so as not to load the samples for that stop so the rank does not play at the same time as the digital piano.

When you draw that stop the digital piano should play, You can play it alone by only drawing that stop.
You can then control the stop which operates the digital piano using any of the HW registration aids.

This assumes the key velocity is sent through by HW.

The sound from the digital piano will not be played through HW’s audio.

Good luck.

Iain

engrssc

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks, will see what works.

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 am

IainStinson wrote:3. Adjust the ranks which are loaded so as not to load the samples for that stop so the rank does not play at the same time as the digital piano.

An alternative would be to simply lower the volume of the 'sacrificial' rank all the way down. I did this when a MIDI piano was added for a very short time. Saved not having to rebuild the cache before and after. :D

Danny B.

IainStinson

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 8:48 am

I agree, but you need the Advanced edition to reduce the volume of a rank (with most samples).

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Hello Ed,
I had that working last year, in a slightly different way and it did sound wonderful, Then boom all of a sudden the Steinway stopped playing, after calling the provider and answering a few questions, They told me that my Hauptwerk computer will not work anymore because it is A Win.Vista PC , that all my present Organs still Play On. I had the same problem with HW a few months ago when I tried to install the Paramount 3/41. (Zilch, Nada, I will have to buy a new Computer to use new sample sets. I will, sometime in the future, but not right now ! (Oh Well) Best wishes too You !

engrssc wrote:Trying to help a (remote) friend, an older gentleman (new to Hauptwerk and not esp computer savy) connect a piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument to play from a Hauptwerk Rodgers/conversion. What he wants to do is to have the lower (Choir) manual be able to 1. play the Choir manual normally, 2. play the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument iindependently, and 3. play both the HW Chioir manual and the piano (synthesisor) keyboard instrument together. Using momentary (pistons) switches.

Rgds,
Ed
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing