It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

Mapping organ to MIDI channels/notes

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Meweber@verizon.net

Mapping organ to MIDI channels/notes

PostTue May 21, 2019 11:37 pm

How do I find out which MIDI channels and notes are used for the various stops and keys on my Paramount 320? I have access to some dance organ MIDI files that I would like to be able to translate and play.

csw900

Re: Mapping organ to MIDI channels/notes

PostWed May 22, 2019 2:04 am

You can use my eplayOrgan program to do the mapping and automatically translate your midi files. You can get it from my website:

https://midimusic.github.io

Please contact me by email (address in 'About' on the website) if you need any help.

csw900

IainStinson

PostWed May 22, 2019 4:49 am

When you play HW live from a console, auto-detect is used to determine which midi channels etc are used for particular functions. It is possible, for example, that an instrument/sample set will be configured with different midi channels for playing the same keyboard when used with different consoles (some consoles may use channel 1 for the bottom keyboard others may use channel 2). Similarly stop control may be configured in a different way between different hardware consoles.

HW's midi recorder/ player uses a special midi implementation which is described on page 265 in the manual. It is independent of the "console" midi configuration and so allows midi files created for a specific sample set to be played using the HW recorder/player across set ups with different console "midi" configurations.

For each sample set the details of the particular "independent" midi implementation for that sample set maybe viewed from the
Recording | View MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation (for this organ) ...
menu function.

I have a set of midi files from various sources which I wanted to use with HW. I used a simple utility to set the midi channels for each of the keyboards to those used by the special midi implementation for the sample set I wished to use, I then played them using the HW midi recorder/player selecting the stops manually. Once I had decided what stops i wanted, I played the midi file again and this time recording at the same time as playing back; I operating the stops expression pedal etc as the music played. The recorded midi file included my stop changes. See page 136 in the manual for details of overdubbing midi. (I could have done the same with a midi editor ....)

Good luck.

Iain

Meweber@verizon.net

PostMon May 27, 2019 12:13 pm

Thank you both very much. I downloaded the MIDI map and I will also try the eplay conversion program.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing