It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

Record/Playback MIDI Performance of Acoustic Piano and HW

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

chrisdfrith

Record/Playback MIDI Performance of Acoustic Piano and HW

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 1:08 pm

I am seeking advice on proper set up to both record and playback simultaneous MIDI performances of my acoustic grand piano and Hauptwerk. Here is my current set up:
o Hauptwerk 4.x advanced edition
o Portland Reuter sample set, Hereford Cathedral, and Paramount theater organs set
o Reaper - current version
o Windows 10 PC with 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD
o Two 24' Viewsonic touchscreen monitors
o Three manual lighted draw knob console
o HW VST multi-channel plugin routed through reaper where I apply EastWest Spaces II reverb to some channels
o Outputs from Reaper routed to MOTU 16a
o Steinway Model B with QRS Pianomation III MIDI record/playback
o iConnectMIDI1 interface connect between QRS MIDI system on Steinway and Hauptwerk PC

After reading through the various options to set HW up in Reaper as a "slave" MIDI instrument, I've concluded that I could not also route the audio from HW via VST multi-channel plugin in the same Reaper project as the two MIDI interfaces, iConnectMIDI1 from Steinway and HW VST MIDI, would clash. Is this correct? What are the options? So far, I am able to successfully record and playback the Steinway piano as a solo instrument using Reaper in a separate Reaper project file. I've not tried to include HW VST in the same Reaper project as I don't want Reaper to adbend and have to be reinstalled - something I've already run into once on the Windows PC. Appreciate technical advice here as I'm past my level of MIDI and Reaper expertise. Many thanks!! Also, if you are in the Phoenix area, I'd be delighted to have you come and play both instruments! They are in a my front room with 22' ceiling and great acoustics for a smaller studio setting.

Hartley Mays

Re: Record/Playback MIDI Performance of Acoustic Piano and H

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Chris,

I'm not clear on what you think the potential problem(s) would be, nor why you think that splitting things into separate projects in Reaper would matter. The device management Reaper and Hauptwerk have to do is above the project level. There should not be any conflict between your audio interface and multiple midi devices used concurrently. The area of potential conflict is multiple audio devices.

I have a setup with HW, a Rodgers 535 organ, and a Technics piano midi keyboard, and use all of them in one Reaper project with no problem. Maybe you can go further setting up as one project and document any specific problems or questions. I'm pretty sure we can get it all working well. It sounds like you have a great music studio.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

chrisdfrith

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Thank you Hartley! You were correct. There is no conflict having both the Hauptwerk interface and the iConnectMIDI 1 interface active in one Reaper project. I was successful in streaming a piano MIDI file to Reaper while it also played live on the piano and I then accompanied the piano from the organ in Hauptwerk. Both the piano MIDI stream and Hauptwerk MIDI stream were captured in my Reaper project and play back perfectly synchronized! The are some MIDI configurations that have to be adjusted on the QRS player system to record v. playback. Once I mastered these, all works perfectly.

Also, from within the Paramount theater organs in Hauptwerk, I mapped the piano stops to the iConnectMIDI 1 interface. This allows the piano to be played in real time from the Hauptwerk organ console. Also, any MIDI recordings that use the piano stops now play the Steinway live when registered. Fun!

Happy to share more with those interested.

Hartley Mays

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 8:26 am

Great, glad I could help.

I share your interest in using multiple virtual instruments in Hauptwerk and Reaper; right now I'm experimenting with some of the wonderful Spitfire Audio sample libraries (Albion One for instance) combined with Hauptwerk pipe organs.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing