It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:43 pm

MOTU 24Ao

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

IainStinson

Re: MOTU 24Ao

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. All most helpful (as ever).
I would need to connect the output from the A24o to unbalanced RCA input on the amps I have available. So far I've not found any DB-25 to RCA looms or snakes... Using the Phoenix connectors to very short RCA cables might be a good way forward...I'm checking with MOTU that the output stage of the A24o will operate correctly if the balanced output is connected to an unbalanced input on the amplifiers.
Iain

mnailor

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm

DB25 to RCA snakes do exist. I use DB25 to TRS for my 24Ao, but maybe these would work:

https://www.proaudiola.com/mobile/produ ... a-2-s.htm=

https://www.infinitecables.com/audio-an ... am-pinout/

engrssc

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am

IainStinson wrote: Using the Phoenix connectors to very short RCA cables might be a good way forward...I'm checking with MOTU that the output stage of the 24Ao will operate correctly if the balanced output is connected to an unbalanced input on the amplifiers. Iain

If using Phoenix connectors, you need the smaller version. Altho a little tight, you can use individual 3 position connectors in place of a single 12 (position)..You shouldn't notice any problem using unbalanced connections vs balanced esp with short connecting cables. Not so good when there is a long distance between the 24Ao and the amplifiers.

Likewise, you need to pay attention to the position of the rear panel routing (dip) switches.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the input most welcome.

Ed, you mentioned " rear panel routing (dip) switches" which I've not found mentioned in the manual. Are they physical switches or are they "virtual" switches in the control GUU? Can you say more about them please...

What connections would you recommend using for unbalanced output?
Ground and +ve, or
-ve and +ve or
ground linked to -ve and +ve.

Many thanks.

Iain

engrssc

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

IainStinson wrote:Ed, you mentioned " rear panel routing (dip) switches" which I've not found mentioned in the manual. Are they physical switches or are they "virtual" switches in the control GUU? Can you say more about them please...

What connections would you recommend using for unbalanced output?

My bad, sorry. While trying to post a comment here, I was also on the phone with a tech who was trying to trouble shoot a system using a 24Ao connected to a Crown CT8150. You are correct. The routing switches I wrongly mentioned are on the Crown amp, not the MOTU 24 Ao.

As far as the unbalanced connections to the 24Ao, on the back panel, the Phoenix connectors are below the DB 25 connectors and arranged in groups. 4 groups under each DB 25. Starting at the right most group is the output for channel 1, then to the left channel 2, channel 3, channel 4. (right to left). The next group to the left is for channels 5,6,7,8, etc. Thru channel 24 on the left most group.

Connecting designations for the Phoenix connectors are shown for channel 1, channel 5 etc. So for instance above the channel 1 Phoenix connector it shows G + - (Left to right) For unbalanced output, you connect G to - for the ground (common) while + is the signal output (center pin of an RCA connector).

While you are not planning to use the DB 25 connectors, for reference they follow the Panasonic/Tascam (AES-59) standard specification for a female D-sub connector with balanced analog output. I always need to follow a printed reference to make these connections. Never bothered to memorize them.

If you use individual 3 position Phoenix connectors, you might need to very slightly file/sand a bit off the outside edges to make them fit easier. Depends on which manufacturer. Some fit snug, but ok, others a bit too tight.

Hope that helps and next time I'll try not to do 2 things at the same time as in multi tasking.

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing