It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

MOTU 24Ao

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

dhm

MOTU 24Ao

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 9:44 am

Does anyone have experience of working with this model?
If so, I would appreciate some help. Please PM me. Thanks!
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

IainStinson

Re: MOTU 24Ao

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Could I add two questions about the MOTU 24AO to this thread?
1 Are the sample rate switching problems reported else where now resolved?
2 Can the device be turned on by applying power to the unit or must the power on switch be physically pushed? In an earlier thread there was discussion about an “engineering mod” to the device being needed to allow the device to power on just by applying power to the unit.
Thanks in advance.
Iain

mnailor

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm

1. Mine still doesn't switch sample rates, even though it's set to get its clock from ADAT input. I'm using it as a 16 channel DAC, not as the Hauptwerk audio interface.

2. Mine turns back on after a power outage, which we have often in Georgia, US. I leave the switch on.

Also, the Motu Discovery App stopped discovering the 24Ao, so I can't go to the web control panel and change sample rates, so I stopped using 44khz organs.

Tweedle_Dee

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I was one who whined about switching sample rates. I use it in a church installation and sometimes like to use a few older sets. It is still problematic to switch sample rates with the last update I did which has been probably about 6 months ago, although it seems to succeed more often than with previous updates.

Even though it often fails to successfully switch when loading a 44KHz sample set, it has always worked for me to either reload Hauptwerk or go to advanced menu and "stop" the audio engine and then restart it. It usually takes another 10-15 seconds for the audio to begin working. Not super convenient when trying to switch in a small window of time in the middle of a church service.

The power switch is a "hard" shutoff, not soft power like the Ultralite models.

engrssc

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 pm

IainStinson wrote:1 Are the sample rate switching problems reported else where now resolved?
2 Can the device be turned on by applying power to the unit or must the power on switch be physically pushed? In an earlier thread there was discussion about an “engineering mod” to the device being needed to allow the device to power on just by applying power to the unit.

I think with both questions you might be referring to another MOTU interface. I've had no such problems in either case. As far as the power switch, it is a 2 position on the 24Ao, not a push button on the front panel and can be left in the "on" position. In our set up, we use a MOTU UltraLite AVB which connects to the HW computer via a USB 2.0 cable. The UltraLite connects to the 24Ao by means of a 45 M single Cat 5e cable. In this configuration, the UltraLite has been set up to be the master clock. When both units are connected and powered, there is a brief period of time for them to "handshake" before they will operate (signal wise). As well, HW doesn't "see them" until this handshake is completed.

We did send the UltraLite AVB back to MOTU (tech dept gave us a RA) so the firmware could be changed to permit the unit to power on without the need to press the front panel power button. Also, we leave both the 24Ao and the UltraLite powered up 24/7 so they are always "ready".

Both of these units can be set up and programmed within the present HW software. Esp useful for the extensive routing characteristics available from MOTU. This is easily cloned from one SSD to another as well.

Rgds,
Ed

BTW, Doug, I did send you a PM.

dhm

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 am

engrssc wrote:BTW, Doug, I did send you a PM.

Just replied by e-mail. Sorry for delay.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

ppytprs

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 5:32 am

engrssc wrote:
We did send the UltraLite AVB back to MOTU (tech dept gave us a RA) so the firmware could be changed to permit the unit to power on without the need to press the front panel power button. Also, we leave both the 24Ao and the UltraLite powered up 24/7 so they are always "ready".

Do you get problems if you turn them off?
I have a church install running with a Behringer 1820 on the end of a USB extender. That goes wrong if you turn the far end power off, which is very annoying.

engrssc

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 am

Haven't had any such problems with them. We usually don't have many power failures, but have had a few interruptions during storms. Both the HW computer and the Ultralite live in the console and are powered on 24/7. This gives us almost instant, ready to play operation. (The console power supply and the amplifier rack are switched off when the organ is not being used.)

To protect the HW computer and the UltraLite, they are powered via a UPS which provides surge protection as well being able to provide power in case of a short term power failure. According to the UPS specs and based on the current draw of the HW computer and UltraLite, this should be approx 20 min. We have not tested the max time length, but last spring during a storm, power was off for several minutes..

The 24Ao only has surge protection, no UPS.

BTW, the UPS manufacturer suggests replacing the battery every 3 years.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnroper100

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 6:20 pm

What UPS are you using?

engrssc

engrssc

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 am

How did you make out with your HW 24Ao project Doug?

Rgds,
Ed

dhm

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:29 am

engrssc wrote:How did you make out with your HW 24Ao project Doug?
Rgds,
Ed

PM just sent.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

IainStinson

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 am

Are the "plugs" for the Phoenix connectors provided with the MOTU A24O?
Would these, https://docs.rs-online.com/50e3/0900766b81714a74.pdf, be suitable ?
Thanks.
Iain

engrssc

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 am

Needs to be a 12 position (4 inputs each X 3) for balanced.

You can alternately use a DB 25 D-sub- 25 pin male connector. (One pin is not used.) I personally prefer this one.

As far as if connectors are provided - purchased new, I don't remember. As far as purchased used, probably not.

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm

IainStinson wrote:Are the "plugs" for the Phoenix connectors provided with the MOTU A24O?
Would these, https://docs.rs-online.com/50e3/0900766b81714a74.pdf, be suitable ?
Thanks.
Iain

Connectors are not supplied. From the MOTU website here are the details on the Phoenix connectors you need.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/phoenixconnector/view

I agree with Ed, the DB25 connectors (DB-25 snake) is an easier solution. If you are connecting directly to active studio monitors, I highly recommend getting the XLR Male version which makes extending the cables that much easier. Most female XLR connectors, like those found on mic cables, can lock securely in place to its male counterpart.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-DTM-803-XLR3M-Balanced-Meters/dp/B000068OAP/

Danny
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing