It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:39 am

Launchpad error

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ddcmemph

Launchpad error

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 am

I have two Novation Launchpads (2nd generation, with orange cord) connected to Hauptwerk on a Mac Pro (Mojave). One is for the left jamb and the other for the right. One functions as expected. After about 5-10 minutes of playing, one of the Launchpads will continue to display the appropriate colors when I press a combination piston, but will not respond to any buttons being pressed on the Lanuchpad. If I restart the computer and Hauptwerk, it will work again briefly before malfunctioning again.

I am trying to narrow down the issue and have been trying different USB cords and USB slots. Are there any reasons at a software level that this might be occurring?

orcoaffamato

Re: Launchpad error

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Are they both connected directly to the Mac or are you using a USB hub?

ddcmemph

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 12:56 pm

The launchpad connected to the USB hub with a 3rd party cable works correctly but the one directly connected to the Mac Pro with the Novation cable is giving the errors.

murph

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Launchpads require a lot of power, which some USB ports on computers can't provide long-term. It's best to connect both through the powered hub to eliminate this problem.

ddcmemph

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you all. I updated the firmware and changed USB ports, and it's working now, fingers crossed!

orcoaffamato

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 am

murph wrote:Launchpads require a lot of power, which some USB ports on computers can't provide long-term. It's best to connect both through the powered hub to eliminate this problem.

True I had disconnection problems with my Launchpad Mini but I solved them connecting it to a powered USB hub.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing