It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 pm

Johannus Etude - MIDI expression?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

NeilCraig

Johannus Etude - MIDI expression?

PostWed May 26, 2004 4:15 am

Hi All

Thoroughly enjoying my first week with HW running from my Johannus console, but I am unable to get the expression pedal working.

Nothing in the Jh. manual about channel/controller mappings but I found the keyboard/pedal ouputs easily enough.

Does anyone know the mappings for the expression, or what they're likely to be, or if Johannus actually bothered MIDI mapping it? A couple of hundred St Anne's reloads to find it is more than I can cope with this week!

Thanks in advance

Neil Craig
N Yorks, UK

mdyde

PostWed May 26, 2004 4:29 am

You shouldn't need to reload the organ in Hauptwerk - changing the MIDI assignments on the settings screens should take effect immediately (provided you use Hauptwerk version 1.20+).

I'm afraid I don't know the controller number, but I'd try channels 1, 2 and 3 and each of the common controller numbers listed in the Hauptwerk help file if you haven't already (1, 4, 6 and 7).

Martin.

NeilCraig

Thanks Martin

PostWed May 26, 2004 5:04 am

Stellar support as always...not sure how I missed that in the help files.

I'll give it a bash tonight.

I sorted the Pedal reed to my liking; brash - obviously my issue with the swell woodwinds will be cured once the 'box isn't permanently shut :wink:

cdatzko

Re: Johannus Etude - MIDI expression?

PostWed May 26, 2004 9:26 am

NeilCraig wrote:Does anyone know the mappings for the expression, or what they're likely to be, or if Johannus actually bothered MIDI mapping it?

Dear Neil,

I don't know it either, but I might know a way for you to find out! Install MIDI-OX, the Swiss Knife for MIDI and just watch the MIDI actions pass by as you use the expression pedal. You should be given all information that comes in on your MIDI interface and if the Johannus Console at all passes on expression pedal changes via MIDI then you should be able to read it here - which channel, and whatever information might be necessary.

Christian.

NeilCraig

PostWed May 26, 2004 4:32 pm

Thanks Christian for your advice. Unfortunately, MIDI-OX confirmed what I suspected - the expression shoe does not have MIDI so my next step will be contacting MidiBoutique to see if they can provide me with a cut-down mscan-hw, since I don't need the scanners at the moment.

Is anyone using MIDI to control combination selection? I had planned to, ahem, "rewire" a PC keyboard interface with small momentary switches for thumb/toe pistons and probably stop selection. It won't enhance the beauty of my console but it will do the job until V2 arrives.

Best wishes//Neil

mdyde

PostWed May 26, 2004 4:46 pm

I'd generally advise against using a PC keyboard, since the timing may not be accurate as MIDI. That said, timing is not so critical for the combination pistons as for the keys.

Martin.

NeilCraig

PostWed May 26, 2004 4:58 pm

Thanks for the advice Martin. I just thought it was a quick and fairly easy (fiddly) way of doing the registration aids, which I could do on the bank holiday.

BTW, The more I use HW, especially the St Anne's organ, the more I appreciate it. Even on an AthlonXP 1800+ with PC133 RAM I can play the FFF a piacere, quasi cadenza section of Mathias' "Berceuse" with no distortion or (unlike the Jh.) any notes dropping out. Full organ (mono) including swell sub/super to Gt. AC97 sound, for the moment. Until last week I never dreamed I'd be able to access such a great sound in the comfort of my own home.

Many thanks

Neil

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing