It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:15 am

Dorico and Hauptwerk V

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

larason2

Dorico and Hauptwerk V

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 am

Given all the discussion regarding using Hauptwerk to play back scores engraved with Dorico before the break, I thought I would give it a try. While it seems to be successful, using two different methods, I’m not sure I would recommend it at this stage, as I discuss in my notes below. I thought I would outline the steps in case anyone else would like to try their hand at it, and for the purposes of discussion and debugging.

Process 1: Connecting to Hauptwerk using AU/VST link
(Note, this is using Hauptwerk 5.0.0.333 and Dorico Pro 3.0.10.1051, on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.2)

-Open Hauptwerk 5.
-Ensure the “Console MIDI IN” is checked for the “Hauptwerk AU/VST Link” row for the “MIDI Ports” dialogue
-Open an Instrument

-Open Dorico 3
-Select “Preferences” from the “Dorico” menu
-On the left hand column, select “Play”
-Scroll down to the “VST Plug-ins” Heading
-Check “Open VST plug-in windows when opening projects”
-Click “Edit VST2 Whiltelist”
-A text edit (or Notepad in Windows) file will open. On a separate line, type in “HauptwerkVSTLink” and save the file.
-Click “Apply” at the bottom right hand corner of the Preferences menu.
-Open the Dorico file you wish to play.
-Go to the “Play” Menu at the top of the Dorico window.
-On the right hand side, under “VST Instruments,” select “HauptwerkVSTLink”
-On the left hand, it lists the voices in the file with different colours. Select the voice you would like to play with Hauptwerk, then select “HauptwerkVSTLink” again, and specify the channel you would like (I use channel 1 for pedal, channel 2 for upper manual, channel 3 for lower manual on my machine)

-Go back to Hauptwerk. Under the “Organ Settings” Menu, select “Keyboards…”
-For each division, under “MIDI In port,” select “Hauptwerk AU/VST Link,” and specify the channel under “MIDI channel” so that it matches the channels you set up in Dorico.

-Go back to Dorico.
-Press the “Play” (right pointing green triangle) in the top right hand corner of Dorico
-The track should play

Note: I tested this setup on the St. Eucaire organ, which was playing well before testing. However, after testing, even though I saw the virtual keys moving in response to input from Dorico, St. Eucaire would not produce any sound. I also got an error message saying that the Mac OS audio driver had crashed (I was using my computer's built in audio for testing). I tried using the St. Georgenkirche sample set, which worked fine. I restarted the computer and restarted Hauptwerk, but Eucaire still wasn’t playing. I reloaded St. Eucaire using less memory (Not loading the church audio groups, in case RAM usage was the source of the problem), and reset all of the organ configuration settings using the organ configuration setting and the general configuration wizard, then restarted my computer, and this seemed to fix the problem. However, because it seems to be a bug specifically with Hauptwerk, I’m leery of continuing to try to use Hauptwerk with Dorico 3 using this method. I may try it after the next Hauptwerk update, and if it still happens, I’ll submit the diagnostic file to Hauptwerk.

Process 2: Connecting to Hauptwerk using MIDI
(Note, this was tested using Hauptwerk 4.2.1 and Dorico Pro 3.0.10.1051, on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.1)

-Open the included App "Audio Midi Setup," under "Utilities" in the "Applications" folder.
-Under the "Window," menu, select "Show Midi Studio"
-You should see a box labelled "IAC Driver" in the main box. Double click on it.
-Check the boxes "Device is online" at the top, then "General midi" and "MIDI machine control" under "Features"
-Click "Apply"
-You can close the windows, but leave the App running (doesn’t seem to make a difference in Catalina, but in previous versions of Mac OS, MIDI drivers wouldn’t work unless the app is running).

-Open Hauptwerk
-When opening, make sure "IAC Driver Bus" is checked under "Console Midi In"
-Load an Organ.
-Once organ is loaded, go to the menu "Organ Settings" and select "Keyboards"
-For each keyboard, select "IAC Driver Bus 1" under "MIDI IN PORT" Select a channel depending on what keyboard/pedalboard you would like to sound, similar to the VST method above.
-Click "Ok"

-Open Dorico Pro 3
-Choose the project you would like to play back.
-Go to the "Play" menu at the top left.
-On the bottom Right, click "MIDI Instruments," and click in the dialogue box where there is 3 dashes (- - -), and select "IAC Driver Bus 1"
-For each instrument/voice, on the left, select "IAC Driver Bus 1," and select the channel you would like it to play back on as before.
-From this point, selecting "Play" should cause playback to sound on the loaded organ.

Note: As mentioned above, I tested this method while I was still running Hauptwerk 4.2.1 on Catalina. While this seemed to work initially, after a few plays I started getting MIDI stuck notes in Hauptwerk, and the Dorico file itself would get very slow and crash often, and to the time of this writing I am unable to get the file to load without crashing. Other files load fine, and are not affected by performance issues. As a result of these problems, I’m not willing to give it another try on Hauptwerk V5 at this time. I may try again after the next Dorico update, and after I post the problem on the Dorico forum.

In summary, although it is technically possible to have Dorico control voices on Hauptwerk, I would say that there are too many bugs with both programs using either of the two options to make it feasible at this point. Perhaps after a few updates on both sides I will try it again, but given the problems and the fact that both programs otherwise are pretty stable on my system, and I use them both very often, I’m leery about continuing to try it right now.

larason2

Re: Dorico and Hauptwerk V

PostMon May 18, 2020 9:43 pm

Just to update this thread. I tried again the VST link method below using Mac OSX 10.15.4, Hauptwerk 5.0.1.034, and Dorico Pro 3.0.10.1051. This time, I encountered no problems - I played a composition multiple times in varying different ways, and didn't run into any of the prior problems. Both Dorico and Hauptwerk remain fast and stable. I haven't tried the MIDI driver route again, but I'm leery that I'm still going to run into problems with the IAC Driver, so I'm going to hold off for now. If anyone has any questions about the working method, let me know.

mdyde

PostTue May 19, 2020 4:04 am

Hello larson2,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you've managed to get it working more successfully now.

Whilst Dorico isn't a VST/AU host that we've tested with, or officially list as supported (for Hauptwerk v4 or v5), there shouldn't be any technical reason from Hauptwerk's side that any given host wouldn't work with it.

Your two methods of connecting the two applications sound fine in principle. However, as you're probably aware, it would also usually be important that:

- You shouldn't have the same audio output device enabled in both applications (otherwise there might be contention over access to the device/driver between the two applications, especially if they're using different sample rates). That might possibly not be an issue with the Mac's built-in output, but it's probably still a good idea to select your main audio interface only in whichever application you'll be using for sound, and to select a spare/dummy device in the other (e.g. the Mac's built-in output), or (only if you specifically need to hear sound from both applications) to select the AU/VST Link for audio output from Hauptwerk so as to route Hauptwerk's audio into the AU/VST host application.

- All MIDI OUT ports should normally be disabled in Hauptwerk, to ensure that there's no possibility of contention between the two applications over any of those ports, and so that MIDI feedback between the two applications would be impossible.

- You shouldn't have any given MIDI IN port in enabled in both applications, so as to avoid contention for them.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostTue May 19, 2020 11:08 am

Ok, thanks for the tips. I may try the MIDI route again with your suggestions to turn off duplicate audio outs and MIDI in/outs. I didn't think about that.

mdyde

PostTue May 19, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks. You're welcome. Hope it helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing