It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:04 pm

Items not recognised by Hauptwerk

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

JohnPrincipal8

Items not recognised by Hauptwerk

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 7:41 am

Hello again peoples
To recap, I am building myself a 3 manual plus pedals organ. I began with 2 manuals while I build my console and pedals.
I upgraded to HWV so I thought I would add my third keyboard ( second hand yamaha's) which is the same model as my first (Great). After I hooked it all up, strangely enough Hauptwerk recognised the new manual but not the other two which I thought was a bit weird. Sometimes HW will send the message that the 2 midi signals (or sometimes just 1) were not working, then a couple of days they would be fine again even though I had not moved, touched or done anything to cause this event. Sometimes I can click on the "make these temporarily off line" and the keyboards will work, but it didn't work for the three keyboards
I have just had to have my computer to the doctors to fix a problem with it that happened days after the above. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem and what is going to happen when I eventually hook up the pedals, screens, and other items? Is the computer going to have a hissy fit? I am also upgrading the capacity of the computer for any future upgrades.
Cheers
John

mdyde

Re: Items not recognised by Hauptwerk

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 8:04 am

Hello John,

[Topic moved here.]

What make/model are your manuals and how do you have them connected to the computer?

For example, do your manuals have built-in USB-MIDI outputs, and you've connected them individually to the computer with simple USB-USB cables (one per keyboard) (as opposed to using 5-pin DIN MIDI cables connected via a multi-port MIDI interface, for example)?

If they're all connected via separate USB connections, are they connected directly to USB ports that are built into your PC? Or via a USB hub? If the latter, what make/model of USB hub, and does it have its own dedicated mains power supply?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JohnPrincipal8

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 8:48 am

Hi Martin
Thanks for your reply. The keyboards are all Yamaha's as they were the only ones that I could get to work with Hauptwerk. Two are PSR 275's and one is a PSR 170. They are individually connected to the computer via a midi uno interface USB and when I had just the two keyboards they worked fine but as soon as I added the third, things went pear shaped. I have just got my computer back from the shop and now I can't get anything to work. Adobe won't recognise adobe files, so I can't access my emails plus I don't even have a mail set up..aaaargh!
I think that I am going to have to reinstall Hauptwerk V and I think I did it through a link in on of your replies so I will have to back to that. I am going to have to wait till the morning to talk to the person who did the upgrade so that they can talk me through how to re use the computer again. It would be a nice change if things were easy for a change but as they say, better the devil that you know!
Cheers
John

csw900

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 9:48 am

I think you are trying to do too much all at once.

1. Forget about HW and keyboards - get your computer working properly.

2. The keyboards you have chosen may work but they are a very bad choice for building an organ. I have looked at the user handbooks for your Yamaha keyboards. These are intended for stand alone playing - midi has been added only as an afterthought. Any keyboard with a standard midi output will work with HW. The simpler the better. There is no need for any stand alone capability (such as a built in sequencer, loads of controls, speakers etc.)

3. Connecting keyboards to HW via individual midi to usb adaptor cables will work but ideally you need to get all your adaptor cables from different makers (so they all have different names) otherwise neither you nor the computer will be able to tell one from the other.

HW V still has loads of bugs (evidenced by the forum). Thus you may experience problems you would not have had with an older, more stable, organ.

Good luck

csw900

JohnPrincipal8

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 10:01 am

Hello again Martin
it is now 2am and I couldn't install V as it said that it could harm my computer????WT..
I hope you are having a better day than me.
Cheers

mdyde

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 10:42 am

Hello John,

JohnPrincipal8 wrote:it is now 2am and I couldn't install V as it said that it could harm my computer????WT..

Provided that you downloaded Hauptwerk from us (as opposed to from some third-party illicit website, for example, and assuming that your computer doesn't have a virus) then it won't harm your computer. If it's your virus scanner that is saying that it might, then it's mistaken, so you can safely ignore the warning (virus scanners are sometimes over-zealous, termed 'false positives') -- the official Hauptwerk v5.0.0 installer definitely doesn't have any viruses.

JohnPrincipal8 wrote:The keyboards are all Yamaha's as they were the only ones that I could get to work with Hauptwerk. Two are PSR 275's and one is a PSR 170. They are individually connected to the computer via a midi uno interface USB and when I had just the two keyboards they worked fine but as soon as I added the third, things went pear shaped.

As csw900 mentioned, if you have several identical MIDI interfaces (e.g. three MIDISPORT Unos) then the computer (and thus Hauptwerk) might not be able to tell reliably which one is which.

Instead of using those three separate Uno MIDI interfaces, I would recommend getting a single good-quality multi-port MIDI interface for your computer (e.g. a MOTU Microlite: https://motu.com/products ). Then, for each of your Yamaha keyboards, connect a standard 5-pin DIN MIDI lead from the keyboard's MIDI OUT port to a (distinct) MIDI IN port on the multi-port MIDI interface (i.e. three MIDI leads in total, one for each keyboard). That way you'd only be using one MIDI interface, so the computer will be able to tell the keyboards apart reliably.

csw900 wrote:HW V still has loads of bugs (evidenced by the forum).

With respect, I would disagree that Hauptwerk v5.0.0 has 'loads' of bugs -- it actually has a very small number of bugs, nearly all of which only apply in very specific circumstances (and are easily worked around), plus one significant compatibility issue with a small number of Windows 10 PCs: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17970 . It was beta tested by lots of people (including all major sample set producers) for almost an entire year before its release, and so it was very well-proven 'in the field'.

Nonetheless, releasing v5.0.1 absolutely as soon as possible is of the highest priority. (It's currently just awaiting some files to include, and hopefully we should be able to release it in the next few days.) Those people who have contacted us with any v5.0.0 problems have been sent temporary work-arounds, pending the official release of v5.0.1.
Best regards, Martin.

JohnPrincipal8

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 am

HI Peoples
Thanks for all the great feedback and I will take it on board and check it out. I managed to get V loaded and it took a couple of reboots to get it back working but it is fine now though I have only just learnt that I have lost all my files from the upgrade of my computer as everything except word documents got damaged.I have only got a few emails that I copied onto word and that is it, so I have to go and download everything again which is one hell of a pain but a BIG lesson learnt.
Cheers

mdyde

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks, John.
Best regards, Martin.

JohnPrincipal8

PostSun May 17, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi again and this time with good news for a change. It has been a while since I was online but I couldn't log in for some strange reason. Anyway I have finally managed to get all my 3 manuals AND the pedals to work after a lot of alterations. The problem was my computer and the usb outlets and even though my computer is old I am here to tell everyone that just because it is old doesn't mean that it is obsolete. You just have to find the right person to fix it and I did through a friend and he didn't charge me an arm and a leg.
The professionals I had to look at it said that I needed a new or newer computer and then charged me $158.00. I listened to his advice and bought a newer second hand 2015 model which turned out to not have the things that I needed so I returned it and that saved me $458. As for the Hubs that I bought, one was for $28 and another for about $36 and at first they would work intermittently (my usb's). So after I had the computer fixed, all the ports on the hubs work beautifully and he told me that they need to run of their own power to make things work better and he was right.
Next challenges are the touch screens and the Swell, Crescendo pedals and hopefully one for the Choir as well.I was almost on the verge of giving up when the sun finally came out and now I am much happier.
Thanks
John

mdyde

PostMon May 18, 2020 3:49 am

Hello John,

Excellent -- glad to hear you've managed to resurrect the computer and are making progress.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing