It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:20 pm

Continuous MIDI controls

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Continuous MIDI controls

PostSat May 09, 2020 6:46 pm

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I have now bought a Korg Nanokontrol2, which does exactly what I wanted, did not require installing any drivers and was really quite cheap.

Any update as to how this unit is functioning?

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostThu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm

engrssc wrote:I was esp interested to have lighted buttons for the transport (recorder) functions. This unit looks to be good to control "extra" HW functions as I really don't have any more room for additional thumb pistons. Thinking of mounting it in a pullout drawer under the key desk along with a 10" touch screen monitor. Right now the t/s monitor lives on the music rack, not the best place for it..In the tuck away drawer it won't be seen generally keeping the classic look of the console. 8)
Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed:

Have you considered mounting a Launchpad Mini under the keydesk? They are the right size. That is what I did by fashioning a drawer using using 6" drawer glides. I mapped the audio/midi recorder buttons as well as the Copy Reg & Paste Reg, memory levels, and other seldom used controls. Very handy, tucked away, plus plenty of buttons still available for the future.

Danny B.

engrssc

PostThu May 14, 2020 2:13 pm

Thinking the same way as with a drawer under the keydesk. However, the Launchpad mini doesn't have continuous variable (potentiometer) controls which the Korg Nanokontrol2 does have. We don't have a screen in this (headless) installation, so using a mouse, etc, wouldn't work either.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostFri May 15, 2020 6:06 am

I've tried the Korg nanoKONTROL2. As reported earlier in this thread it works out of the box with the Windows midi drivers as one might hope. The buttons and 16 continuous controls work fine with HW.

Note as delivered the device is in CC mode - it needs to be to operate in this way. The "manual" tells you how to change the mode. The last mode set is then one used when the device is next turned on.

The LEDs don't operate with the delivered configuration.. They can be made to operate by running the Korg KONTROL Editor (which is a free download from the Korg site) to change the default configuration of the nanoKONTROL2.
    1. Install the Korg Kontrol editor. Use the default Windows midi drivers (don't install the Korg drivers).
    2. Select the nanoKONTROL2. as the input and output device.
    3. Select the Control tab. Open the Common options.
    4. Set the Control mode to CC (it is probably set to that value already), set the LED mode to External.
    5. On the top menu select Communications, then select write scene. Confirm that you want to rewrite data on the nanoKONTROL2.
    6. Quit the editor.
In HW make sure the nanoKONTROL2 .is selected for midi in and midi out. When you autodetect a control in HW which you wish to assign to one of the nanoKONTROL2.'s buttons, select the option for HW to send output to the nanoKONTROL2.in the autodetect dialogue.

As far as i can tell there are LEDs for alll the buttons except the two track buttons and the three marker buttons. There are no LED associated with the sliders.

The Korg nanoKONTROL2 is a low cost device which does provide 16 continuous controls and and 35 buttons. in a compact space. The build quality seems fine.

Iain

engrssc

PostFri May 15, 2020 6:30 am

Thanks, Iain. That was a very well thought out and useful explanation. Just what I was looking for. I found many positive responses from others who use that box. Appreciate your work.

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing