It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

Keyboards Inputs 1 & 2

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

Keyboards Inputs 1 & 2

PostFri May 01, 2020 11:16 am

Hello,

I’m trying to connect Hauptwerk both to my console and to the sequencer Cakewalk, installed on another computer. For each division, I’ve auto-detected my console in the Input 1 and my sequencer in the Input 2. But it doesn’t work properly: from my console, the Great and the Swell are playing together despite they receive different Midi channels.

I’ve done this first test with St. Anne’s, to be sure I begin with a simple case. Have I missed something? Or am I trying to do something impossible?
Luc

mdyde

Re: Keyboards Inputs 1 & 2

PostFri May 01, 2020 11:56 am

Hello Luc,

What you're trying to do sounds fine in principle, assuming that either:

1. Cakwalk and your MIDI console are using completely separate MID IN ports for connecting to Hauptwerk (so that Hauptwerk would be able to tell them apart), or that:

2. If using the same MIDI IN port then their MIDI channel numbers are distinct in all possible cases (e.g. console Great=1, console Swell=2, Cakewalk Great=3, Cakewalk Swell=4).

If, for example both your MIDI console and Cakewalk were using the same MIDI IN port, and also their MIDI channels overlapped (e.g. console Great=1, console Swell=2, Cakewalk Great=2, Cakewalk Swell=1) then you could get both Great and Swell being triggered simultaneously from your console and/or Cakewalk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ludu

PostFri May 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Many thanks Martin!
I didn’t notice that one Midi channel was wrong, because I detected manually and not automatically. For a reason I don’t understand, the auto-detection sometimes fails. But that’s not HW’s responsibility, I’m sure. It must be my Noorlander console…
Luc

mdyde

PostFri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks, Luc.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing