It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:57 am

Marian Seraph 8+ MWX TRS pcie audio card

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

unclegally

Marian Seraph 8+ MWX TRS pcie audio card

PostSat May 02, 2020 8:43 am

Hello. I'm interested in upgrading from stereo to multi channel. I've found this 8 channel pcie card which includes 2 midi in. It is a sizeable investment so could benefit from advice if possible. I don't have a large room to fill with sound but am thinking about 4 channels plus a woofer. I don't want to have to run marian supplied software while using it. I'm going to upgrade to hauptwerk 5 but will probably do this associated with a new sound card and pc. Any guidance appreciated. Thanks. Simon.

mdyde

Re: Marian Seraph 8+ MWX TRS pcie audio card

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:35 am

Hello Simon,

I don't have any first-hand experience with Marian's products, although I recall that Charles Braund from Silver Octopus Studios tried one with Hauptwerk v4 a few years ago, and it wasn't compatible at the time since its ASIO driver used an unusual ASIO stream format, which I'd never encountered from any other ASIO driver and Hauptwerk (including v4.2.1) didn't have support for. I added support for that particular stream format for v5, based on my best guess for how that stream format is intended to be encoded (since I couldn't find any specific documentation for it). However, I don't know whether Charles (being the only person I'm aware of who had one) has tested Hauptwerk v5 with a Marian interface, so I can't absolutely guarantee that it will work. v4 definitely won't work (unless Marian have changed their driver in recent years to use a more conventional stream format).

In summary:

- Its ASIO driver almost certainly won't work with Hauptwerk v4. (Possibly ASIO4All could be used with it instead as a work-around, but you might possibly not get the same level of performance as its native driver.)

- Its ASIO driver will probably work with v5, but it hasn't been tested, and it isn't guaranteed, so I'd recommend testing it first before committing to buy a Marian interface.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

unclegally

PostSat May 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Thanks for the rapid reply Martin. You have saved me a considerable amount of potential problems.

Your response also suggests I can contact you directly by email, but your email address isn't shown anywhere, and it isn't clear which contact page i should use. I have purchased a lifetime Hauptwerk 5, but haven't upgraded my system yet. Ideally i need some advice on a sound card suitable a modest number of multi channels. I'm not sure whether 192KHz is required. I want to avoid thunderbolt, firewire seems over priced, and PCIe cards seem to be limited which leaves me to consider external USB. However, with these it isn't clear which Asio drivers are known to work well. And whether Asio 2.2 is necessary for example.

mdyde

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks, Simon. You're very welcome.

unclegally wrote:Your response also suggests I can contact you directly by email, but your email address isn't shown anywhere, and it isn't clear which contact page i should use.

My apologies for the confusion as a result of my forum signature (which was set that way for historical reasons). I've corrected that now. I'm not normally involved in handling support myself these days, but if you need to contact us for support then the address to use is support [at] hauptwerk.com. Francois Ratte (micdev forum user) handles that and he's extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

We don't normally offer specific detailed recommendations/advice on hardware makes/models beyond what's listed in the perquisites section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 16-17 in the current v5.0.1 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ), but hopefully that will help to give some broad pointers.

The Marian ASIO driver is in fact the only ASIO driver that I'm aware of that has ever had any compatibility issues with Hauptwerk (aside from the Creative/Soundblaster cards, because their ASIO driver is limited to only 48 kHz only).

Looking for recommendations from other Hauptwerk users in this section of the forum is probably the best option. E.g. RME, MOTU, PreSonus, Focusrite and M-Audio are popular brands amongst Hauptwerk users.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostSun May 03, 2020 4:33 am

P.S. I forgot to mention, there's a bit more general information on audio interfaces (and computer hardware in general) in the 'technical data' document linked at the top-right from this page: https://www.hauptwerk.com/requirements/
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing