It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:30 pm

Occasionally losing all midi devices through USB

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

damuehlbauer

Occasionally losing all midi devices through USB

PostSun May 03, 2020 11:59 am

Every once-in-a-while (i.e., a couple times a month) when I start Hauptwerk (V) I get the warning screen that it can't find any of my midi devices. I accept the default to cancel the load, unplug the one USB port that has everything midi and USB related (keyboards, touchpads, etc.) and plug it back in. Then, when I restart Hauptwerk everything loads and works as expected.

Not a huge issue (USB is easy to get to), but just wondering if there is a known reason why this might be happening. I think I exit properly and I have all the midi devices powered up before I start Hauptwerk.

System: Windows 10, Hauptwerk V, a Motu midi interface with keyboards, pedalboard, expression pedal and switches connected. Two touchpads connected by USB and those three USB outputs in a single USB hub.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

mdyde

Re: Occasionally losing all midi devices through USB

PostSun May 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Hello damuehlbauer,

If you have Hauptwerk set to launch automatically when the PC boots, then it might be the case that Windows is sometimes launching Hauptwerk before Windows has finished loading all of the MIDI drivers. The 'Minimum time to wait on start-up' setting on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab is there for that situation.

If that isn't the issue, I'd suggest first making sure that your USB hub is a good-quality *powered* (not 'bus powered') model, and that it has ample power to supply all of the USB devices that you have connected to it.

Also, if it's specifically and only the MOTU MIDI interface that isn't getting recognised, then I've always had that problem occur occasionally for me with MOTU's MIDI interfaces when the computer boots (even without Hauptwerk running). I have a MOTU Microlite and several MOTU Express 128 units, and each of them does it occasionally, on both Macs and PCs, on every computer that I've ever had in the last 15+ years, and on every version of Windows and macOS that I've used, and with every MOTU MIDI driver version that I've tried over that time. When it happens, all of the LEDs light up on the unit and stay lit, even after shutting the computer down. The only way I can get the computer to recognise the unit again is to disconnect and reconnect its USB lead (i.e. rebooting the unit itself, since they're USB-powered). I suspect it's simply a bug in MOTU's firmware, although I can't absolutely rule out an issue due to having them connected via a USB hub, since I've always needed to connect them via hubs (albeit good-quality and powered ones): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18325&p=138108#p138108
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

murph

PostSun May 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi Martin,
f.w.i.w., I have a midi express XT that used to do this too (Riverdance dumped it 'cause it did the same for them, which is not a good look on Broadway.)
There was a quiet firmware upgrade released a few years ago that has fixed it completely. It hasn't done anything silly since. (It's mains powered and rarely gets turned off. It does have it's own USB socket on the MB and rarely gets changed.)
Have a hunt for new firmware, just in case.

Tony.

GrahamH

PostSun May 03, 2020 4:58 pm

When I switched on my Hauptwerk PC this morning, Hauptwerk failed to recognise any of my MOTU Microlite's MIDI ports.
This is the first time it has happened in several months, but when my Hauptwerk PC was connected to the Internet and I allowed Windows updates, it used to happen so frequently that I inserted a multi-pole switch in the USB cable to save having to open up the console to access the USB connectors.
Since modifying my console I no longer have the switch, so today I tried shutting down the computer and re-booting, but Hauptwerk still couldn't see the MIDI ports. However, when I selected "Restart" from the Start Menu, that did the trick - so I didn't need to open up the console :D
Graham

damuehlbauer

PostSun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm

My USB hub is not currently powered. I'm going to try that first. Ordered a power supply because I've misplaced the one that came with the hub.

My Midi interface is the Express 128.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

mdyde

PostMon May 04, 2020 3:35 am

murph wrote:f.w.i.w., I have a midi express XT that used to do this too (Riverdance dumped it 'cause it did the same for them, which is not a good look on Broadway.)
There was a quiet firmware upgrade released a few years ago that has fixed it completely. It hasn't done anything silly since. (It's mains powered and rarely gets turned off. It does have it's own USB socket on the MB and rarely gets changed.)
Have a hunt for new firmware, just in case.

Tony.

Thanks, Tony.

I can see that there's a firmware update for the MIDI Express XT on MOTU's website, but no firmware updates are listed for the Express 128 or Microlite models, unfortunately. If anybody gets any useful results (e.g. a firmware update) from MOTU's support for the Express 128/Microlite, please do let us know. It would certainly be nice to have it resolved once and for all.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing