It is currently Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:14 pm

midi interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

royad22@comcast.net

midi interface

PostFri May 15, 2020 4:29 pm

I am new to this forum, but have been steadily building on my hauptwerk vpo for months. I need to buy a midi interface for the pedal board but confusion is growing. The manual said to buy MOTU or M-audio and that is fine but i am discovering that some don't work with catalina on my imac. If anyone can point me towards a good interface with that in mind i would be thankful.

Roy

magnaton

Re: midi interface

PostFri May 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Hello Roy:

Perhaps you can provide more details on your pedalboard and the VPO you are building. Is it new with a MIDI port ready to connect or was it a pedalboard conversion off an older organ and a MIDI encoder was installed? Regardless generally a simple USB to MIDI interface like the Roland UM-1 or iConnectivity MIO should work regardless of OS.

Now, if you have keyboards that need the same requirement then maybe a bigger unit with multiple MIDI input ports to USB is needed. Many keyboards now give an option of MIDI port or USB to connect to your computer.

Danny B.

larason2

PostFri May 15, 2020 6:39 pm

Also useful to know is whether you are going to use the audio output of the interface, and how many channels you wish to use. That makes a big difference as to what interface to consider.

royad22@comcast.net

PostFri May 15, 2020 8:05 pm

I midified an old 13 note pedalboard by rewiring each switch to connect to ground when keyed. I used a dts systems pic-1 board to convert to midi. When pedals are depressed the red light comes on and again when pedal is released. I tried the roland um-1 with no success and another generic converter with no success. My computer sees the midi in midi setup but no reaction when pedals are depressed. I connected the midi out to in and vice versa. I do realize that it could be my pedal rig that is the problem but right now i don't know where to go from here.
I am using the audio of the computer through the headphone jack to amp. Keyboards are working.

magnaton

PostFri May 15, 2020 8:41 pm

For starters try viewing the messages transmitted by your pedals via a Midi monitor software:
For a Mac MIDI Monitor https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
For a PC Midi Ox http://www.midiox.com/
This will help verify if the issue is with your pedal encoding.

I verified my Roland UM-1 works like yours, MIDI IN light flashes when pedal is depressed and when released. LOL, I never paid attention before :-o

Danny B.

royad22@comcast.net

PostFri May 15, 2020 10:50 pm

I downloaded the midi detector software and wasn't getting any signal from the pedalboard. I decided to revers the midi connectors at the encoder and bingo it works. I am thrilled to get this problem behind me. Thanks so much for your help

mdyde

PostSat May 16, 2020 4:46 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing