It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:55 pm

audio interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

royad22@comcast.net

audio interface

PostSat May 16, 2020 10:42 pm

I am running Catalina on an imac and presently using the headphone jack to amp. I would like to purchase a usb audio interface. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Roy

mdyde

Re: audio interface

PostSun May 17, 2020 3:47 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostSun May 17, 2020 4:33 am

Hi Roy
How many output channels do you want to drive? If you give some guidance I sure people will offer you their opinions about audio interfaces. If you only want stereo you would need 2,. If you wanted stereo and headphones 4. For a pair of front and a pair of rear speakers, a sub woofer and headphones you might need 8 channels and so on. The cost of the unit is very dependent on the number of channels, and the units aren't really upgrade-able to run more output channels.

Are you going to connect the audio interface to the Mac by usb?

Here's a link to one eight output channel audio interface which may help you decide your needs...
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_umc1820.htm
Ignore the inputs they are not needed by HW but many audio interfaces come with lots of input for recording studio use - HW only wants the outputs.

Look carefully at the units and read the manuals before deciding! Check on the forum here for user experience.

Good luck.

Iain

NickNelson

PostSun May 17, 2020 8:25 am

IainStinson wrote:HW only wants the outputs.

Although if you do use headphones, there is something to be said for plugging a microphone into an input so you can hear the front door bell, telephone, fire alarm etc.

Nick

mdyde

PostMon May 18, 2020 4:22 am

Hello Roy,

To add to others' replies: this section of the forum covers audio and MIDI interface hardware, so if you have a dig around through previous topics here you'll find lots of previous discussions and recommendations for audio and MIDI interfaces.

The 'Hauptwerk prerequisites' (pages 14-20 in the current v5.0.1 version of the main Hauptwerk user guide) also discusses them, as does the 'Technical info' document linked from the top-right of the 'Support | Requirements' page on the main Hauptwerk website: https://www.hauptwerk.com/requirements/ .

For example, interfaces from RME, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus and M-Audio are popular amongst Hauptwerk users, depending on the functionality you want (number of audio outputs, MIDI ports, etc.) and budget available.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostMon May 18, 2020 10:42 am

To add to other’s replies as well. I’ve had some success with my Steinberg UR22. However, Steinberg does not make a unit with a lot of outputs and not many inputs, which is more ideal for Hauptwerk. If all you need is 2 outputs, the UR22 is a good option. I would get as many outputs as you can afford, however.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing