It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 am

Finale and MIDI editing, import and export

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

danwerning

Finale and MIDI editing, import and export

PostSun May 31, 2020 11:09 pm

I would like to be able to export a recorded sample of my organ, input it into Finale, edit notes and registrations and dynamics there, and then import it back into the organ and play it. I'm sure it is fairly complicated working in MIDI, which I don't know much about. I know Finale pretty well and editing sound files. But how do I learn about advanced MIDI editing (crescendos, registration changes, different manuals, Swell box, etc.), and then playing that MIDI file within my computer to sound like my Lavender Hereford Willis organ both with Finale and then back in the organ itself? Is there a book (or books or PDF files, etc.) I can use to learn about this?

mdyde

Re: Finale and MIDI editing, import and export

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 4:42 am

Hello Dan,

From my (albeit very limited) knowledge of Finale, I don't think it would easily be able to edit MIDI files recorded by Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder, since notation software usually places restrictions on the MIDI implementation that can be used/supported for its files.

I would suggest either:

1. Use Finale with Hauptwerk as described in the 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 229-233 in the current v5.0.1 version). For example, you could set up a 'spare' 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration (desktop short-cut) for use with Finale. Or:

2. Use a more flexible/general-purpose MIDI sequencer application instead of Finale, such as Cubase. You could then potentially use it to open MIDI files that Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder had recorded, edit them (being careful to retain their MIDI implementations), export them as MIDI files, then open and play them in Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player. The 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function within Hauptwerk shows the MIDI implementation the the MIDI files would be in (and would need to remain in). The significant disadvantage of this approach is that you wouldn't be able to play the MIDI files from the MIDI sequencer as you edited them, so you would effectively be editing them 'blind'.

I'd recommend option 1, especially if you already have Finale and prefer to use dedicated notation software over generic MIDI sequencers.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing