It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:13 pm

Novation LaunchPad

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

peterlorin

Novation LaunchPad

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 10:27 am

Is there a PDF document on how to use the Novation LaunchPad with Hauptwerk? Also, is it true that the new LaunchPad by Novation does not work with Hauptwerk. And can I add a USB "game pedal" to work with the LaunchPad. A reply to these questions will be very much appreciated.

RaymondList

Re: Novation LaunchPad

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 10:36 am

I hardly think a PDF document is required. One may simply auto-detect a control (piston, drawknob, etc.) and then press a LaunchPad button to assign it. The resulting menu allows one to select the color. It really couldn't be simpler.

Regards,
Ray
Ray

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 pm

One thing to bear in mind concerns the software included with the launchpad. Don't use it - and don't even bother installing it. Attach each launchpad to the computer in turn, and wait until it has been detected and recognised by the computer's operating system as a device before adding the next one (if you have more than one). Windows puts up a message at the bottom of the screen advising when the device is ready for use. On a Mac you'll just get a flashing light pattern sweeping across the launchpad to show that it's active.

If possible, attach each launchpad direct to the computer from a built-in USB port. If you need to use a hub for multiple launchpads it must be powered. A good device for handling multiple launchpads plus other MIDI inputs is the iConnectivity Mio-10.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio10

I use a powered hub attached to the USB input of the Mio-10. The launchpads must remain attached to the same port, or Hauptwerk will forgot where they are and lose the settings. Sometimes a PC swaps around the device numbers, or fails to recognise a launchpad on powerup - you'll need to exit Hauptwerk and restart the computer if that happens.

When Hauptwerk is next launched after adding a launchpad it will find the new hardware and ask if you wish to use it. Answer yes to this.

Finally, you'll need to go into the MIDI input and output options, ticking the boxes in each to allow Hauptwerk to use each launchpad. Both settings are needed - the launchpad sends button press info to Hauptwerk, and it needs to receive info from Hauptwerk to turn on the lamps and select the appropriate colour.

Beyond that, simply auto-detect each button just as you would for a piston or other input source. You'll then be presented with a drop-down menu allowing you to identify if your launchpad is Mk 1 or Mk 2, select a colour, and choose if you want on/off or bright/dim.

Andrew

RaymondList

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Andrew has given you much better information than I. However, he did jog my memory about one item. I run with a Mac and two LaunchPads. Upon startup, sometimes (as Andrew mentioned) they would 'swap', left to right (I use them mostly as stop jams). This was very annoying to me. After asking about this issue on the forum, someone was kind enough to tell me to check the user manual for the LaunchPads. One can enter a 'set up mode' on the LaunchPads by holding certain LaunchPad buttons upon power-up. In that mode, the LaunchPads can be given IDs. Since I did that and gave the two LaunchPads different IDs, I've never had the problem of the computer mixing up the left and right units. They have worked like a charm since then.

Regards,
Ray
Last edited by RaymondList on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 6:22 pm

By default Launchpads come in a power save mode where the lights don't display at maximum brightness. The manual has instructions to switch it to full power mode, which gives better discrimination between bright and dim.

There are a great many useful things you can use them for. Today I have been experimenting with a 4x4 matrix of buttons to map a 4-manual organ (Zwolle) onto my 3-manual console using floating divisions. Each physical manual is represented by a row of four buttons, one for each manual division of the sampleset. The top manual is represented twice to enable two different divisions to be allocated to it (e.g. Bovenpositief and Borstwerk). This means that the manuals can be swapped around on the fly to almost any configuration (though in practice it is probably more useful to use just four buttons representing four complete configurations of the instrument).

I also use the Launchpad for swapping between temperaments, and adjusting the attenuation to give me a volume control. And to cue the tens and hundreds digits in the stepper. Basically anything that I don't need while I am playing (I use the pistons for that). The only thing it can't do is control continuously-variable sliders such as amount of reverb and direct/diffuse balance, but there are other USB controls available quite cheaply that will do that.

Of course they can be used for stop controls, but I have yet to find a sensible layout system that works for every sampleset and is suitably memorable.

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 7:50 pm

I've made this offer previously in other threads, but I'll repeat it here in context with the current discussion.

Some years ago I created a set of PDF templates for the creation of launchpad overlays. If anybody would like to have these templates, send me a PM containing your email address and I'll respond with a personalised link to a Google Drive folder containing the templates plus some examples.

Andrew

mdyde

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 3:14 am

Hello Peter,

[Topic moved here.]

To add to others' thorough replies:

peterlorin wrote:Also, is it true that the new LaunchPad by Novation does not work with Hauptwerk

The current version of Hauptwerk (v5.0.1) has native support for:

- The current 'Novation Launchpad Mk2': https://novationmusic.com/en/launch/launchpad-mk2
- Its 'mk1' predecessor.

It's my understanding from Hauptwerk users that it can also be made to work with the current 'Launchpad Pro' and 'Launchpad Mini' models:

- https://novationmusic.com/en/launch
- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18675
- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18685

... but we haven't tested it with those, and I can't guarantee it. For good measure (and since it's what we fully support) I'd recommend going for the standard current 'Launchpad Mk2'.

peterlorin wrote:And can I add a USB "game pedal" to work with the LaunchPad.

Could you give an example of the type of device you're referring to, and how you would connect it to the computer?

Hauptwerk supports MIDI expression pedals (for controlling virtual expression/crescendo pedals), and MIDI pedal keyboards, and MIDI pistons/buttons. It doesn't support non-MIDI control devices (aside from the touch-screens, the computer's mouse, and computer's keyboard). The supported MIDI implementation is described in the 'Reference: MIDI implementation' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 256-264 in the current v5.0.1 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 3:44 am

I have also tried Launchpad Minis and as far as I can see they are identical to Launchpad 1 but smaller, and they work with HW 4.2 (I haven't tried with V). The Launchpad 2 is preferable as it has three LED's per button rather than two and can therefore display a much wider range of colours. I don't know anything about th eLaunchpad Pro.

mdyde

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 5:01 am

Thanks, Julian, for the additional information.

Any Launchpad that worked with Hauptwerk v4 will work with v5.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 6:46 am

The Behringer CMD TOUCH TC64 Clip Launch Controllers with Multi-Color LEDs work in the same way as do the above mentioned Novation LaunchPads.

Rgds,
Ed

jrball

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:40 am

I'd like to sell all 6 since 3 on each side will handle most available organs.
Maybe $200 plus actual shipping.

peterlorin

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 9:39 am

Thank you to everyone for the help. Mr. Dyde, the USB black pedal I am refering to is used by Richard McVeigh (Beauty in Sound) with his LaunchPad to be used as a foot piston on his pedalboard as a piston to go ahead or backwards (stepper) or used as foot general pistons. Mr McVeigh talks about it on his youtube channel. Are they're any midi foot pedals available to be used as a foot piston/stepper? Thank you for the advice. All the best.

mdyde

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks, Peter.

Classic Midi Works in Canada is one company (for example) that makes MIDI organ hardware that's compatible with Hauptwerk:

https://www.midiworks.ca/index.php/products

Some other Hauptwerk resellers also make or supply suitable MIDI hardware (MIDI expression pedals, MIDI pedalboards/pistons, etc.):

https://www.hauptwerk.com/dealers/
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:34 am

P.S. I assume you're referring to this video (around 5:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F8iPqOnySo

If so, I don't know off-hand what make/model that particular foot pedal button is, but any such pedal button should be fine to use with Hauptwerk provided that it sends MIDI and uses a supported MIDI implementation (e.g. sends a constant MIDI program change each time it's pressed, or a MIDI note-on/off pair). Your local musical equipment shop may well be able to supply something appropriate.
Best regards, Martin.

peterlorin

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 11:50 am

Thank you everyone. Now if I can learn how to use Hauptwerk's V reverb in surround sound on a Windows machine, I will be all set up. Have a wonderful week.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing