It is currently Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:07 pm

Audio output assignment in HW5

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

magnaton

Audio output assignment in HW5

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 pm

As you recall, configuring stereo outputs in HW4 you were given two drop down menus for assigning the Left and Right channels. It was carte blanche on which audio 00x number you assigned to each. In HW5 I see we are given just one drop down menu and the output assignments are predefined:
001/002
002/003
003/004
etc.

I understand perfectly that in most multichannel, stereo installs its easy and logical to assign odd numbers to the Left and even to the Right or vise versa. So, is there a way to compose true stereo channels like we did in HW4? Yes, I tried composing 2 mono channels as a L & R but the audio suffered as it sounded like 2 mono channels in unison.

Thanks,

Danny B.

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Audio output assignment in HW5

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi,

If you scroll down the list of channels, after 1023/1024 you will find the mono channels. For example Mono: 0001 [=>0001]
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

magnaton

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 5:16 pm

Hello François:

Yes I found those, see the last sentence on my post. How do you create a true L & R stereo signal? As an experiment I created 2 mono channels, assigned them to a group, assigned a rank to that group, and it sounded very poor. To me it was like the same half of the stereo sample in unison (think AM radio through stereo speakers). The audio presets, allowed for easy comparison between the two configs (true stereo and 2 monos).

Danny B.

mdyde

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 2:57 am

Hello magnaton,

Here's the excerpt from the Hauptwerk v5 release notice that covers it:

Please also note that technically Hauptwerk v5's audio configuration also has the following limitations compared to v4: ... the left and right device channels selected for any given mixer bus (v4 audio output) when stereo should usually be consecutive (although if you really want to use non-consecutive channels then channel orders can be remapped manually via the 'General settings | Audio device and channels' screen).

I.e. you can remap the channels via the 'Audio device and channels' screen, so that the device channels to which your stereo speaker pairs are connected then occupy consecutive logical channel numbers, allowing you to select them as a stereo pair via the mixer in the normal way.

However, unless there's a really good reason not to, my recommendation, for simplicity, would be just to swap the cables around on your audio interface, so that the cables for your stereo speaker pairs do indeed occupy consecutive device channels. Then you won't ever have to worry about it again.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 1:42 am

Hello Martin:

Yes! The 'Audio device and channels' is what I was looking for. I completely overlooked the individual drop down menus for channel mapping. Thank you for keeping this open functionality as found in HW4.

Actually for my main config, I do have my stereo channels in a consecutive order:
Ch-1 L___Ch-2 R
Ch-3 L___Ch-4 R
etc.

Here is why I posted this question.
My setup consists of upper and lower speaker shelves, on each side of the console. The girth between L & R shelves is about 6 ft with the console in between. My reason for non-consecutive channels has to do with configuring the audio routing for a couple of organs. I have 7 active monitors on each side (7 stereo pairs). But for illustration sake, lets say I have 4 on each side (4 stereo pairs, 8 speakers). I load all my organs in stereo format. By wanting to preserve the physical chamber location of the organ's design (as you might find in a pipe organ installation) I usually refer to the jamb location. To have say the Swell division (on the left jamb) play the stereo loaded ranks on the the left speakers, I build the stereo pairs with the odd outputs:
Ch-1 L
Ch-5 R
Ch-3 L
Ch-7 R
In this this manner the stereo pairs are inter joined rather than being right next to each other: L1a L3b R5a R7b
The Great division is built on the right with the even channels in the same fashion. The Great and Swell are audio groups so the HW algorithm is active. I use a separate HW Alt-config for this design which keeps things 'tidy' by not having to use the audio interface's software for the virtual channel re-mapping or worse yet re-odering the physical cables!

Thanks again Martin,

Danny B.

mdyde

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 3:34 am

Thanks, Danny. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing