It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:48 am

Motu 24ao preset display

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

IainStinson

Motu 24ao preset display

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 6:48 pm

I wonder if others who are using the MOTU 24ao could help please.

I have setup two presets for the audio, one called “Normal” and one called “Headphones”. (Normal for output including the speakers and Headphones for headphone output only).

When I use the front panel to select one of these presets, the preset is selected and the display shows that this is the active preset (after It shows the “activating” message).

When I turn the unit off, and then back on, the unit is operating with the last preset I selected (which is what it should do) BUT the display is not showing that preset as the active preset, instead it is displaying the name of one of the other available presets (Standalone Mixer for example) in the preset display on the front panel.

Does your unit show the correct name of the preset being used?

The unit is running firmware Version is 1.2.35+1028 (11/06/2018). The unit is connected by USB only to the computer running Windows 10.

I am in touch with MOTU…

Help and information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Iain

engrssc

Re: Motu 24ao preset display

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 3:31 am

You may be aware that latest firmware is v1.3.5+1028 for the 24Ao, (May 13, 2019)

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks for noticing this Ed.

I had updated the unit when I bought it but reset it to factory defaults whilst trying to diagnose this "problem". This downgraded the firmware. However, the problem is the same using the most recent version of the software ( v1.3.5+1028 for the 24Ao, (May 13, 2019)).

MOTU has now replied saying that the A24a0 is working as it should and that the preset display does not show the currently active preset (except after setting the preset from the front panel) but slows the "first" in the list of available presets. The engineer validated this on on of their units (and I think was surprised at what happens) and has requested development to consider changing the display (and possibly the web interface) to show the currently active preset. It does not seem particularly helpful for the active preset not to be displayed..

Other than than this, the 24a0 is very good and easy to set up for HW. I'm using 16 of the analogue outputs (10 main, 2 "rear" 2 sub 2 headphones). I turned off all the mixer and effects features. The sound quality is an improvement on the Focusrite units I was using.

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnaton

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 11:24 am

IainStinson wrote:
Other than than this, the 24a0 is very good and easy to set up for HW. I'm using 16 of the analogue outputs (10 main, 2 "rear" 2 sub s headphones). I turned off all the mixer and effects features. The sound quality is an improvement on the Focusrite units I was using.

I agree. I've had mine for a couple years now and the sound quality is excellent. I think there was a Forum post where someone even compared the sound quality of these newer MOTU units to that of RME.

I've spoken to MOTU tech support in the past. On one call I asked why is it that only the first digital output is able to switch protocols between S/PDIF & ADAT and not the other two (digital outputs 2 & 3). His response was that it would take more memory and engineering to accomplish that. . . .? With minimal cost using a digital/analog converter (Toslink to RCA) you can squeeze an additional 2 channels out from this wonderful unit. :-)

Danny B.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing