It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:06 pm

Sound card died / SPDIF possibly to blame?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Sound card died / SPDIF possibly to blame?

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Hello all,

Looking for anyone's 2 cents worth here on this. In another post I started here recently on the forum under 'Technical Support' I reported that one day about a week ago my Hauptwerk computer suddenly would freeze and become unresponsive once it booted and the desktop was up and running. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18726 I couldn't get the computer to do anything including even getting it to shut down without being forced to do a hard shut down. After much testing I finally figured out that my M-Audio 1010LT Delta sound card was dead and appeared to be the culprit behind the non responsive business. I was successful in restoring the computer back to normal behavior using the restore disks, checked one more time to see if the computer would recognize the sound card when I installed it and powered up the computer, and nope the sound card is no longer recognized and I was also unable to install the driver for it. M-Audio states in their manual on the first power up the computer will see the sound card and report it as a new device, that's not happening, so given all I've done it's pretty apparent the sound card is dead.

Now for my questions: About 5 years ago a bought a S/PDIF converter for channels 9/10, one of these >> https://www.microcenter.com/product/423 ... -converter I have always left it plugged in and powered up, even when the computer is off. What I'm wondering is if by leaving it powered up at all times if this possibly damaged the sound card over time. I did notice about a week before the problem came up, just on channels 9/10 where the S/PDIF was connected that I was getting some intermittent static from the speakers. I don't know if this is just coincidence, but was something that just started out of the blue. The other question I have is did the converter possibly go bad and wreck the sound card? I have a new Delta 1010LT sound card coming thanks to Ed who goes by engrssc here on the forum, but before I even install it I'm thinking it may be wise to go out and get a new S/PDIF converter just to play it safe.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Marc

NickNelson

Re: Sound card died / SPDIF possibly to blame?

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 2:44 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:The other question I have is did the converter possibly go bad and wreck the sound card?

My opinion: If you were using the coaxial connection I suppose it's possible, if the optical almost certainly not.

Nick

magnaton

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi Marc:

Sorry to hear of your HW issues of late. I think its just coincidence with the S/PIDF channels only playing solo that one time. Leaving it plugged in is what its designed to do. I have one connected to a TV to an older stereo deck (which allows the TV to be heard in stereo and quasi Dolby). It's been active (on) for about 9 years without issue.

The signal from the 1010LT is digital out so its oblivious to what happens downstream.

I see that Ed has come to your rescue for a replacement unit. However being the HW audiophile that you (we) are, you might use this opportunity to audition a higher grade of an audio interface. Martin made a comment that the newer AVB MOTU units rivaled that of RME.

Danny B.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks, Nick and Danny for your thoughts.

Nick,

Yes you are correct, I've been using the coaxial connection on the converter and is what got me wondering about leaving it on at all times. So, do you think it would be wise to play it safe and get a new converter?

The other thing is we all know (well, at least most of us anyways have experienced this), if we leave the audio on while the computer is shutting down we get a pretty loud pop at the end. I even get a slight pop in the audio if I turn the amps on before the computer has booted. So, I have chosen to turn the audio off before shutting down the computer, and not turning the audio on until the computer fully boots. Maybe this leaving the converter on is sending a pulse to the sound card that can eventually damage it? Also, was thinking if leaving it on all the time with the computer off if that might possibly do some damage to the sound card over the long term. Just some theories I guess.

I suppose considering the 1010LT is going on give or take 9 years of age, maybe it's time finally ran out and this was just something to be expected.

Danny,

I'd love to go out and get some new equipment, I've got a ton of irons in the fire right now with other projects (kitchen remodel $$$ :roll: ) and fortunately Ed has been able to help me get back up and running (providing all goes as planned) very reasonably. Providing my computer keeps going I'm planning to look into an upgrade of both computer and sound card sometime later this year, but have been very pleased with what I've had up to now and it certainly has done the job for me. So, if I can get back what I've had I'll be happy.

Marc

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing