It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:41 am

Replaced FATAR keyboard setup

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

MDavenport

Replaced FATAR keyboard setup

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm

I am having trouble getting my brand new replacement 3rd manual to work in my four manual stack. What happens is that the third and fourth manuals act as if they are coupled. I just replaced my third manual and the other manuals are the same Fatar manuals but about nine years older.

I ran MIDIOX and see that the pedal is on channel 1, first manual is on channel 5, second is on channel 4, and third and fourth are BOTH on channel 3. I figure that is probably the problem but I have no idea how to fix that.

Also, when I do the manual assignment using Hauptwerk 4.?(whatever the last version 4.? is) I get this message:
“The following similar virtual control(s) are already configured to respond to this event.”

I click “Only this control (3. manual). Clear settings settings for the control(s) listed above.” I have done this several times for both third and fourth manuals with no success.

SO, my question is – what do I do to fix this problem?

Thanks everyone.

WMDavenport@gmail.com

smfrank

Re: Replaced FATAR keyboard setup

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 5:56 pm

MDavenport wrote:I ran MIDIOX and see that the pedal is on channel 1, first manual is on channel 5, second is on channel 4, and third and fourth are BOTH on channel 3. I figure that is probably the problem but I have no idea how to fix that.

If they are CMK form MidiWorks in Canada you can set the channel right from the keyboard.
From the manual:
Hold the first piston from the left (SET) and momentarily press the first black key from the left (C#1).
While still holding SET, momentarily press one or more of the first 16 white keys from the
left (C1 to D3). Afterwards, release the SET piston.

If they're from someplace else, I don't know!
Steve
Steven Frank

MDavenport

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks. The new keyboard is indeed from them as are the three old ones.

I have tried what you suggested but it didn't change anything.

I have not tried changing the 4th manual (which is 9 years old) from channel 3 to channel 2 and see if that helps. Do you think it is worth a try or could it screw things up even more?

Thanks,

-=Martin=-

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 4:06 pm

I you don't have one, I'd contact MIDIWORKS and get a copy of the manual with the programming instructions. For some reason the CMK keyboard manual isn't available on the download list.

You can also download the appropriate CMK Config software from the Midiworks web site, which makes life easier, but does require midi-out from your PC back to the keyboard. And — none of the software works yet on macOS Catalina if that matters.

These are the instructions from their website for the latest CMK-3A keyboards — https://www.midiworks.ca/files/Preset%20Tutorial1_2.pdf
Grant

MDavenport

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 8:49 am

Thanks. I have all that and have written to MidiWorks a couple of days ago but haven't heard back from them.

When I ordered the keyboard they asked me what manual I was replacing. I told them three out of a four manual stack. They obviously set it on channel 3, but my manual 4 is on channel three. So I need to change manual 3 to channel 2 (the way the old one was).

Thanks for the updated information. It is just what I need (I hope).

The new keyboard is CMK -3B so the way of doing things is different than it was for the old keyboards.

I will try this new method in a little while THANK YOU!!!!!

-=Martin=-

MDavenport

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Grant, you were absolutely right! Getting the correct instructions for the new keyboard solved the problem!

One other question you may be able to help me with, how do I get the red and green lights to not come on on the piston rail?

Thanks again!!!

-=Martin=-

Grant_Youngman

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm

MDavenport wrote:Grant, you were absolutely right! Getting the correct instructions for the new keyboard solved the problem!

One other question you may be able to help me with, how do I get the red and green lights to not come on on the piston rail?

Thanks again!!!

-=Martin=-

Glad you got it working!!

As to the lights, I think there's a way to turn those off using CMK Config (not sure, it's been a long time since I've had to configure my keyboards, and there is no longer a version of CMK Config that runs on my Mac — don't get me started on THAT rant. Midiworks needs to get their software act together :roll: ). Not sure if there are key presses that will do that or not. The brute force method is to reach in with a pair of wire snips and just cut one lead to each LED lamp. That can always be repaired and resoldered if you ever find you like/need the light show. Or use a small piece of black electrical or duck tape, and just cover up the LEDs.
Grant

engrssc

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 3:46 pm

If you add a blue LED, you can compete with the computer geeks that appreciate RGB lighting for their computing 'needs'.

Rgds,
Ed

Hoofdwerk

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 4:53 pm

You might try this link to see if your keyboards support this procedure: https://www.midiworks.ca/index.php/supp ... -keyboards

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing