It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:27 pm

Problems with a Roland UM-ONE driver 1.0.1

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

organtechnology

Problems with a Roland UM-ONE driver 1.0.1

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Hello,

Is anyone else having difficulties or had difficulties (solved) with their Roland UM-ONE installing and working but when the computer is turned off the OS does not load the driver on the next boot?

The environment is:

PC: i7-4xxx, 32GB RAM, 500GB HDD not connected to the internet.
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Hauptwerk V4.2.1 recognizes the driver in the MIDI input section.
Roland UM-ONE v1.0.1 for Win7 (i.e. in the driver folder there is a Win 7 folder with drivers for that OS)

The driver installs correctly and works until the computer is powered off. When power is re-applied the UM-ONE does not appear in the device manger list and of course Hauptwerk can't see it. You must uninstall UM-ONE and poweroff, poweron and install UM-ONE and after the restart it works until the next poweroff.

Any ideas?

This is the first time this type of MIDI-USB cable has exhibited this behaviour.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

Re: Problems with a Roland UM-ONE driver 1.0.1

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:18 pm

From the Roland web site. UM-ONE DRIVER VER.1.0.0 FOR WINDOWS 10

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/um-one_mk2/updates_drivers/09a08c60-40fd-46d6-b2d4-47f1781dbc2e/?lang=en-JM

Maybe the version they posted isn't the latest? Just curious. Even M/S needed to patch (back track) their latest Win 10 version before "the ink was dry" on their announcement.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:54 pm

engrssc wrote:From the Roland web site. UM-ONE DRIVER VER.1.0.0 FOR WINDOWS 10

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/um-one_mk2/updates_drivers/09a08c60-40fd-46d6-b2d4-47f1781dbc2e/?lang=en-JM

Maybe the version they posted isn't the latest? Just curious. Even M/S needed to patch (back track) their latest Win 10 version before "the ink was dry" on their announcement.

Rgds,

Ed

Win 7 Pro 64bit
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

magnaton

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 2:28 am

Hi Thomas:

Yes, I have this problem and I think you and I discussed this before. About 1/2 the time HW doesn't recognize my UM-One. I don't have to reload the driver, I exit HW, unplug then re-plug the UM-One's USB connector restart up HW and I'm good to go. I've now added this routine of unplug/re-plug while the computer is booting up which works 100%.

Sometimes when the computer is booting, I will see a solid red light on the UM-One block and if I press a pedal and get MIDI IN to flash (before the Win desktop is visible) then I can skip the unplug/re-plug action.

The UM-One is only for the pedals, my keyboard stack is using a cheap, Amazon MIDI-USB adapter and it has NEVER had this issue. My Hardware, OS, and HW version is the same as you described. I have a spare iMio adapter which I'm going to replace the UM-One on my next "under pedal clavier " cleaning job.

Danny B.

engrssc

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 8:38 am

Part of my above thought was questioning whether the UM-ONE would work any better in a W10 setup?

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm

engrssc wrote:Part of my above thought was questioning whether the UM-ONE would work any better in a W10 setup?

Rgds,
Ed

Well that is one thing I have yet to try.

Thomas

organtechnology

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 12:12 pm

magnaton wrote:Hi Thomas:

Yes, I have this problem and I think you and I discussed this before. About 1/2 the time HW doesn't recognize my UM-One. I don't have to reload the driver, I exit HW, unplug then re-plug the UM-One's USB connector restart up HW and I'm good to go. I've now added this routine of unplug/re-plug while the computer is booting up which works 100%.

Sometimes when the computer is booting, I will see a solid red light on the UM-One block and if I press a pedal and get MIDI IN to flash (before the Win desktop is visible) then I can skip the unplug/re-plug action.

The UM-One is only for the pedals, my keyboard stack is using a cheap, Amazon MIDI-USB adapter and it has NEVER had this issue. My Hardware, OS, and HW version is the same as you described. I have a spare iMio adapter which I'm going to replace the UM-One on my next "under pedal clavier " cleaning job.

Danny B.

Well I guess misery loves company :(

Thomas

organtechnology

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 1:01 pm

deleted by Thomas
Last edited by organtechnology on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

organtechnology

Re: Problems with a Roland UM-ONE driver Win 10 1.0.0

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi Danny,

I have discovered that, in WINDOWS 10 all versions, the UM-ONE MK2 driver is reloaded over the internet each time the UM-ONE is plugged into a USB 2.0 compatible port. In some cases, the UM-ONE must be unplugged and re-plugged to initiate the process even if connected during boot. Perhaps it is the removal of AC from the computer that causes this behaviour. If the Hauptwerk computer is running Windows 10, then the driver is not installed and kept in the normal driver location but is downloaded from the internet each time the computer is started.

( https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 1781dbc2e/ ).

Driver for Windows 10
Your computer automatically downloads the Windows(R) 10 driver from the Internet when a product requiring the driver is connected to the computer.
For detailed information about the driver, check "Download File" at the bottom of this page.

* Under normal conditions, the driver installation is completed in several minutes. It may take about 10 minutes depending on the Internet connectivity or if there are other drivers being installed for other devices.
* A problem may have occurred if the device is connected but cannot be used after waiting for 10 minutes. Download the detailed information for the driver and refer to "Troubleshooting."

If you open the Windows 10 driver zip file, you will immediately notice that there is NO executable file for a resident driver. I surmise from this that if you use a UM-ONE or UM-ONE MK2 with Windows 10, that the computer MUST be connected to the internet for the UM-ONE MK2 to request the driver. I am uncertain as to how it works with the UM-ONE (not MK2).

There are some "class compliant" (driver not needed) replacements for the UM-ONE such as the MIO or the MIO-xc available from Sweetwater. The M-audio UNO is not recommended due to a buffer overrun problem.

Does anyone on the forum know of a suitable work around for the UM-ONE MK2 with Windows 10 PRO or if the MIO is acceptable to Hauptwerk 4 and 5?

Thomas

Frank-Evans

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 12:07 pm

Just a "for what it's worth" post... I have been using the UM-1 with Win 7 Pro 64 with no problems... I checked the driver version, it is 1.0.0.0 dated 9/18/2009.... When I replaced my motherboard about 3 years ago I reinstalled the same driver (no attempt to see if there was a newer version) and it's never failed....

organtechnology

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 2:17 pm

Frank-Evans wrote:Just a "for what it's worth" post... I have been using the UM-1 with Win 7 Pro 64 with no problems... I checked the driver version, it is 1.0.0.0 dated 9/18/2009.... When I replaced my motherboard about 3 years ago I reinstalled the same driver (no attempt to see if there was a newer version) and it's never failed....

Hi Frank,

I had the same experience with UM-ONE reliability until we changed to the "unified" driver. But since we are changing to a Windows 10 Enterprise IoT LTSC 2019 (longest name in Microsoft history?) the problem emerges that a change in Windows itself is mandating an internet connection to continue with the UM-ONE. We can use a "Class Compliant" device instead of the UM-ONE but have limited experience with them.

Thomas

organtechnology

Re: Problems with a Roland UM-ONE driver Win 10 1.0.0

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 10:57 am

organtechnology wrote:Hi Danny,

I have discovered that, in WINDOWS 10 all versions, the UM-ONE MK2 driver is reloaded over the internet each time the UM-ONE is plugged into a USB 2.0 compatible port. In some cases, the UM-ONE must be unplugged and re-plugged to initiate the process even if connected during boot. Perhaps it is the removal of AC from the computer that causes this behaviour. If the Hauptwerk computer is running Windows 10, then the driver is not installed and kept in the normal driver location but is downloaded from the internet each time the computer is started.

( https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 1781dbc2e/ ).

Driver for Windows 10
Your computer automatically downloads the Windows(R) 10 driver from the Internet when a product requiring the driver is connected to the computer.
For detailed information about the driver, check "Download File" at the bottom of this page.

* Under normal conditions, the driver installation is completed in several minutes. It may take about 10 minutes depending on the Internet connectivity or if there are other drivers being installed for other devices.
* A problem may have occurred if the device is connected but cannot be used after waiting for 10 minutes. Download the detailed information for the driver and refer to "Troubleshooting."

If you open the Windows 10 driver zip file, you will immediately notice that there is NO executable file for a resident driver. I surmise from this that if you use a UM-ONE or UM-ONE MK2 with Windows 10, that the computer MUST be connected to the internet for the UM-ONE MK2 to request the driver. I am uncertain as to how it works with the UM-ONE (not MK2).

There are some "class compliant" (driver not needed) replacements for the UM-ONE such as the MIO or the MIO-xc available from Sweetwater. The M-audio UNO is not recommended due to a buffer overrun problem.

Does anyone on the forum know of a suitable work around for the UM-ONE MK2 with Windows 10 PRO or if the MIO is acceptable to Hauptwerk 4 and 5?

Thomas

It appears that as long as the computer is connected to power the driver stays accessible to the UM-ONE and Hauptwerk but if power is removed completely on the next boot Windows 10 wants to connect to the internet and re-download the driver from the Roland site. The MIO is said not to have this problem because it is class compliant.

TJG

Norman Young

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 1:34 pm

I've not had any problems with my UM One, and I'm running Windows 10.

I hope you find the solution soon.

Are you running this directly into the computer, or via a hub?

organtechnology

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 2:27 am

Norman Young wrote:I've not had any problems with my UM One, and I'm running Windows 10.

I hope you find the solution soon.

Are you running this directly into the computer, or via a hub?

Directly to mobo usb port.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing