It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:50 pm

MIDI recording, but no audio

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Tmeagher

MIDI recording, but no audio

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 pm

I can play back the HW demo MIDI file directly from the .mid on desktop.
When I drag the file into Pro Tools, there is no audio.
Same if I record my own MIDI track.

I am just looking to be able to record simple MIDI and play back.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Andrew Grahame

Re: MIDI recording, but no audio

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:44 pm

HW records 2 separate files - WAV audio and MIDI. There isn't a single file containing both types of data.

Or are you referring to an absence of audio playback from the MIDI data within your DAW? When the data within a MIDI file is played within Hauptwerk it is in effect pressing Hauptwerk's keys, drawing the stops, operating swell pedals and so on. Within a DAW this MIDI signal would need to be linked to an alternative sound source in order to generate an audio output when played back.

Tmeagher

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Thank you Andrew for responding so quickly!
I thought I was missing something.

Yes, I am referring to absence of audio playback.

You are correct. When I use another instrument for MIDI playback of Hauptwerk files, it works as expected.

I guess HW was designed more stand alone (which is a good thing, once understood).

Again, thank you!

mdyde

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 3:24 am

Hello Tmeagher,

Yes -- Hauptwerk runs as a stand-alone application, outside of any sequencer/DAW software (Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, etc.). You can optionally use the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link to route MIDI output from a sequencer/DAW into Hauptwerk, and audio output from Hauptwerk into a sequencer/DAW.

Please see the 'MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying external real- time effects plug-ins' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk -- pages 218-239 in the current v5.0.1 version) for full details, and the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally ... (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section (pages 223-228) in particular for step-by-step instructions.

Note also that Pro Tools isn't an AU/VST host that we officially support for the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link plug-ins, but it may work anyway (assuming Pro Tools can use AU or VST plug-ins).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing