It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Viscount Chorum and Dell laptop sound

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Chris Shaw

Viscount Chorum and Dell laptop sound

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm

I'm brand new to all of this! I'm trying to play Hauptwerk on my Viscount Chorum via my Dell laptop and back through the Viscount's speakers. I can get everything up and running but, try as I might, there's a constant loud background hum. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

mdyde

Re: Viscount Chorum and Dell laptop sound

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Hello Chris,

In case you're referring to the virtual blower sound, you can disabled that virtual 'rank' via the 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options' screen (or turn it down via the 'Organ settings | Rank voicing ...' screen).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 2:38 pm

Or one other possibility... bad audio connection between your computer/audio interface and the Viscount Audio in.

Ideally you will want to use a balanced cable from the computer/audio interface to the Viscount Audio IN.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

organtechnology

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:10 pm

Actually it sounds like a classic 'ground loop' where the ground or earth connections are of differing Ohmic values which sets up a small 60 Hz signal on an unbalanced audio system. I believe this is the primary reason that balanced cables are in most pro and semi-pro studios. The balanced system cancels the 60 Hz voltage that appears on both balanced conductorss.

This phenomenon is more likely to happen with poorly shielded coaxial cable and between audio systems that are connected to the opposite legs of the 240 volt feed (120v-Neu-120v) than the one the Hauptwerk computer is connected to. Of course if they are both plugged into the same outlet that is very unlikely.

Search for ground loop eliminators with your favorite search engine to see who still sells them. Another way to eliminate a ground loop is to use a 'balun' transformer which is a balanced to unbalanced passive device. But transformers that can handle the full range of an organ are scarce and big.

I had an Apple Mac-Mini running Hauptwerk that presented the problem and the Radio Shack Ground Loop Eliminator fixed it.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

rayjcar

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am

A simple test for whether you have a ground loop problem is to disconnect the AC power supply from your laptop and just operate on the battery. I had this problem interfacing to the auxiliary audio inputs of a Phoenix organ.

There are in fact good quality isolation transformers. The Applied Research and Technology DTI boasts a frequency response of 10 Hz to 50 kHz +/- 0.5 dB. In other words, an undiscernible difference over the audible hearing range.

https://artproaudio.com/product/dti-dua ... -isolator/

Ray

Chris Shaw

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 3:25 am

Thank you so much for all of the speedy and very helpful replies. It was indeed, the blower. I'd no idea that the blower could be adjusted, but I now realise that pretty much everything can be adjusted! I'll doubtless be back with more questions. Thanks once more.

Chris.

mdyde

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Thanks, Chris. Excellent -- glad to hear it turned out to be something that was easily resolved.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing