It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:26 pm

Control HW Midi playing volume

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

kwbmusic

Control HW Midi playing volume

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 10:23 pm

Some time ago I downloaded some Paramount midi files but have only just got around to using them (Covid lockdown regime here in Melbourne, Australia). I do not seem to be able to control the volume and they play quite loud even though I set HW V volume to zero. I haven't discovered any separate volume control in the recording/play menus. I could place an external mixer in the system but I would rather not add anymore hardware.
Any help?
Thanks,
Keith

mdyde

Re: Control HW Midi playing volume

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 3:50 am

Hello Keith,

Do I understand correctly that you mean that that particular sample set plays at a comfortable volume for you when you play it 'live' (by clicking on its virtual keys, for example), but is too quiet specifically (and only) when using Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player to play certain MIDI files?

If so, those MIDI files probably contain MIDI messages that control Hauptwerk's master volume slider, thus turning the overall sound level down when/as they play. You could see whether that's the case by looking at the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel; if that is indeed the problem then you would see the volume slider move to (or be at) a value less than 100%. Under normal circumstances (i.e. with no explicit MIDI volume-control messages), the volume slider should remain at 100% percent, and the 'Audio' signal level meter should show an appropriate level (comparable to what it would show if playing 'live' on that organ with same registration and expression pedal positions) even when playing MIDI files.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

kwbmusic

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 am

Thanks Martin for the response. When I play any of the organs I can easily control the volume using the main volume slider and no problem. However when the same organ is loaded (in my case either Paramount 450 or Paramount 341) and I load one of the appropriate midi files from the Paramount website, they play very loud, and it would appear that the volume slider (previously OK with live play of the organ) does not work.
I note that you mention the large control panel, which I have not accessed as I used the small control panel to load and play midi.
I can't get back to the organ until tomorrow but will try the large control panel and see what I get.
Thanks,
Keith

mdyde

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 6:20 am

Thanks, Keith.

kwbmusic wrote:When I play any of the organs I can easily control the volume using the main volume slider and no problem. However when the same organ is loaded (in my case either Paramount 450 or Paramount 341) and I load one of the appropriate midi files from the Paramount website, they play very loud, and it would appear that the volume slider (previously OK with live play of the organ) does not work.

In that case, yes -- I think the problem is simply that the MIDI files contain MIDI messages that are setting/moving the main volume slider. If you want to change that you would need to edit those MIDI files in a MIDI editor (e.g. Cubase, Logic, etc.) to remove the relevant MIDI messages from them. You can see which types/values of MIDI messages would control Hauptwerk's master volume slider (and thus which MIDI messages you would potentially need to remove from the relevant MIDI files) by looking at the 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function within Hauptwerk.

kwbmusic wrote:I note that you mention the large control panel, which I have not accessed as I used the small control panel to load and play midi.

It doesn't matter whether you use the large control panel, or a small control panel that includes the volume slider; in either case the same master volume slider would be shown/controlled.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing