It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:16 pm

Audio routing design preset separation

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

magnaton

Audio routing design preset separation

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 12:06 pm

I found that the HW5 presets aren't as 'separate' as I suspected. It seems when I make a routing change in one preset it carries over to the other 5. What I'm trying to accomplish are presets that can switch between an output array vs outputs divided by division using the same organ loaded.

Here is a simple setup for illustration purpose:
For Preset #1
4 speakers (2 stereo pairs) assisgned to:
Mxr prst 1: Prmry bus 005 the outpt persp 1 (front 1/main).
Mxr prst 1: Prmry bus 006 the outpt persp 1 (front 1/main).
Pipes and notes distribute between the 2 pairs as expected.

For Preset #2
2 Mxr prst 1: Prmry bus 005 the outpt persp 1 (front 1/main).
2 Mxr prst 1: Prmry bus 002 the outpt persp 1 (front 2/upper).

The objective is to have the Great and Swell divisions play through their own speaker pairs.

So, in the Rank Vocing and Surround/3D/... menu I select all the Swell ranks and in the Adjustment dropdown choose
Perspective mix: source persp to output persp 1 front 1/main) pct retrigger and lower the amplitude to zero.
Likewise in the Perspective mix: source persp to output persp 2 front 2/upper) pct retrigger I raise the volume from 0 to 100. This works, Great division in stereo pair A, Swell division in stereo pair B.

Here is the complaint - going back Preset #1 the Swell can't be heard because the volume changes done on Preset #2 have carried over to Preset #1 (and all other presets). :( On an earlier attempt, I've tried different Destination mixer bus group settings but ended with the same result. I know I this can be accomplished using different HW Alt Config but was hoping this would work using the new audio presets in HW5.

Any advice?

Danny B.

mdyde

Re: Audio routing design preset separation

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Hello Danny,

Mixer presets allow you to define 8 independent sets of everything on the following two screens (only):

- 'General settings | Audio mixer', and:
- 'General settings | ... | Audio mixer bus groups'.

You can then pick any one of those 8 mixer presets for any given organ.

(Aside from using alternate configurations) for any given organ, in Hauptwerk v5 you *can't* have more than one set of settings for any of the screens on the 'Organ settings' menu (voicing/panning, etc.). I.e. Hauptwerk doesn't allow you to define multiple sets of voicing/panning for any given organ.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 12:42 pm

mdyde wrote:(Aside from using alternate configurations) for any given organ, in Hauptwerk v5 you *can't* have more than one set of settings for any of the screens on the 'Organ settings' menu (voicing/panning, etc.). I.e. Hauptwerk doesn't allow you to define multiple sets of voicing/panning for any given organ.

P.S. Adding the ability also to be able to define multiple sets of voicing/panning and rank/routing for any given organ (and to be able to switch back and forth between them quickly) is logged as an enhancement request potentially for the future inclusion, but that was included in v5.
Best regards, Martin.

magnaton

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks for the quick reply Martin. Having the presets limited to the 2 screens you listed makes it perfectly clear. :)

Danny B.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 9:59 am

Thanks, Danny.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing