It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

Cannot load organ because of buffer size

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ColinMac

Cannot load organ because of buffer size

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Hello,
About 90% of the time I try to load an organ on my new Hauptwerk setup, I get the following message:

Could not create audio output buffers for ASIO driver 'ASIO: AudioBox ASIO Driver' with a buffer size of [however many] sample frames. Please try re-booting the computer. (Operating system message: ASE_HWMalfunction, code: -999 hex: FFFFFC19.)

I always have to reload the organ a bunch of times before eventually it works. Each time, I also change the number of sample frames, but it doesn't seem to be more likely to work with more or fewer sample frames. Normally, I use the Salisbury sample set, but this still happens even if I try St. Anne's. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's extremely frustrating trying to practice and taking half an hour before Hauptwerk decides to cooperate. Thanks!

Colin

IainStinson

Re: Cannot load organ because of buffer size

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 5:52 pm

I don’t have this device so this is based on some general points for Windows audio and a quick look at the device manual. I would
1. Make sure the driver is up to date and compatible with your version of Windows.
2. Set the ASIO buffer size in the Audiobox Windows’ control panel and in Hauptwerk (see the Audiobox manual). I would try 512or 1024 as a first value and 1 buffer and set them to the same value in both places. This needs to be a power of 2.

Good luck.

Iain

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 8:54 pm

Hello Colin,

To add to Ian' reply, I seen cases where stop and restarting Hauptwerk sound engine solved the problem.

When you get the message, close the error message window, the go to Engine | Advanced use | Start audio/Midi .

Also make sure that no other application is using the your audio. Are you using Windows 7? Because when I saw this problem it was on Win7 machines.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mdyde

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 am

Hello Colin,

To add to others' replies:

It's the audio interface hardware/driver itself that's raising the error for some reason when Hauptwerk asks it to start. The driver's error code (ASE_HWMalfunction) theorectically means 'hardware malfunction', although it might be the driver that is malfunctioning instead of the hardware. If in doubt, you could try conatcting the interface's makers for support.

When the problem occurs, there's no need actually to reload the organ in Hauptwerk, since the problem is simply that the audio driver wouldn't start. (Hauptwerk always tries to start the audio and MIDI drivers after loading an organ.) If it failed to start and you need to try starting it again you can just use 'Engine | Advanced use | Start audio and MIDI' (or open/close either the 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen or one of the preferences screens, since Hauptwerk automatically stops the audio/MIDI drivers when opening those screens and attempts to [re-]start them after closing those screens.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing