It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:13 pm

Which MOTU for 2020 and Hauptwerk VI?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Silken Path

Which MOTU for 2020 and Hauptwerk VI?

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Greetings, denizens. I have a shiny new laptop and Hauptwerk 6, and finally want to go to more channels. Right now I have two powered speakers (Behringer 3031), two Conn pipes, and a subwoofer. The last two I'm not using with Hauptwerk.

I have seen the MOTU MK 3 Hybrid recommended in the forum. It has ten outputs. Amazon has only one listing remaining. The Ultralight AVB has 6 outputs ,but supposedly updated hardware and is more compact. That's a factor as I'm still stacking stuff up on my Rodgers.

Can anybody comment about the suitability of either model? The AVB represents the higher end of what I can spend, but if the Mk 3 hybrid can handle 96 kHz and HD audio, maybe that's what I should get.

Thank you!

magnaton

Re: Which MOTU for 2020 and Hauptwerk VI?

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 3:36 pm

I have a MOTU MK3 Hybrid and yes it is a very stable product capable of 96 kHz. You can purchase one new or on the used market as you've discovered. It actually has 14 discreet outputs if you add in the headphone jack and coaxial S/PDIF port. :) The only complaint I have is the 'soft switch' for power. There is a mod you can do on it so it boots whenever you plug in AC power. This would be important if you'd like to start your HW rig with as few steps as possible.

The AVB products have a newer graphic interface that is network enabled. You can also connect other MOTU units via the AVB port if you want to expand the number of outputs or inputs.

Danny B.

Silken Path

Re: Which MOTU for 2020 and Hauptwerk VI?

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks, Danny. Sweetwater shows the AVB interface on an iPad. I don't have one. An iPhone is the only Apple product I have. Anyway, that's what I needed to hear about the Mk 3 Hybrid. Sounds like the one I need.

On edit: I snagged the last new-in-box Mk3 Hybrid at Amazon.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing