It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:48 pm

M-Audio Firewire 410 End of Life?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

jrball

M-Audio Firewire 410 End of Life?

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 8:09 pm

I am still coping with my 410 because of the expense of a newer device and the uncertainties of a change.
Does anyone still run a 410 under Win 10? Have you found ways to configure it to behave?
It sometimes takes more than one boot to get its attention and occasionally stops during the day. It's also hard to address with modern support programs and utilities. When it's working I use all 10 channels.

Is the Gigaport EX a good replacement? Any other 8 or 10-channel possibilities that use USB?
Seems like Firewire interface is going away.

jkinkennon

Re: M-Audio Firewire 410 End of Life?

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 12:31 pm

I cannot think of an interface much under $500 that I would recommend. The Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 is a great choice in my opinion. MOTU is another brand I would strongly recommend. Also Presonus. If you want to take your chances in terms of reliability then the Behringer interfaces come to mind at a better price. Good luck!

EDIT: I too am curious about the Gigaport EX. Has anyone used it?

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 12:56 pm

My old Firewire 410 was retired some years ago, and it's long been identified on the M-Audio website as a "legacy" product. In its place I now use a Motu 828 Mk3, which can operate either by Firewire or USB. I use it in Firewire mode. I use the USB connection when updating software, and though I've not used its audio function via USB I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't be satisfactory. I can't comment though on Windows 10 because My Hauptwerk PC is still running Windows 7 - I have yet to bite the bullet on a new computer. I find the Motu works very well, though it was not as easy as the old 410 to set up. The new audio features in Hauptwerk 6 are a big help, and I now find I can control it much more easily.

https://motu.com/products/motuaudio/828x

magnaton

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 6:23 pm

jrball wrote: Any other 8 or 10-channel possibilities that use USB? Seems like Firewire interface is going away.

Yes, with the throughput of Thunderbolt, USB2, and USB3 Firewire is not really marketed any more. Just view the backs of current production audio interfaces. Most are USB.

If price is of a concern, review previous HW threads on audio interfaces. I've had great luck with MOTU having recommended them to organ colleagues, 3 of whom have purchased used from eBay with nice cost savings. One came in the original box and packaging! Checkout the MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid which has USB and Firewire (thus "hybrid" in the name). It has 14 discrete output channels! Still a current product and drivers work fine with Win7 & Win10.

Danny B.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing