It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:13 pm

BSOD with W10

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

jmoboe

BSOD with W10

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 1:57 pm

I am a long time user of HW, from versions 1 to 6. In 2010, I bought a, then, powerful PC (I-920, with 24 GB of RAM). Sometime after, I got a Presonus Firestudio 26x26 interface. I still use that PC and, with W7, I never had any problems. Of course, my interface hasn’t been supported for years.

When W10 came, I decided to set up my PC as a dual-boot system, with the W7-HW system isolated and highly optimized for audio performance. This has worked out fine except that the time necessary to switch system is becoming annoying, especially if I want only to try something quickly on the organ. Recently, I decided to try HW on W10 with the old Presonus driver. To my surprise, it worked well, that is, until I exited the program, I wanted to load a different organ or tried to execute many other commands. Then, I got a BSOD with the code PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

First, this is obviously a Presonus device problem since ASIO4ALL works. I found that there were problems with the Firewire(IEEE 1394) drivers on W10 and tried to switch to a legacy driver, to no avail. I know that I can fix my problem with money (a new audio interface or a new PC to take over what else I am doing with my HW PC) but, since HW works well on the first load, I would like to know if anybody would have a solution for this problem.

jmoboe

Re: BSOD with W10

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 2:03 pm

Just saw the post on Firewire devices not working with the latest W10 updates. I guess I am not alone with tis problem

mdyde

Re: BSOD with W10

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 2:11 pm

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing