It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

Interface with MIDI THRU??

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

dhm

Interface with MIDI THRU??

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 am

It has been suggested to me that some audio/MIDI interfaces might have a MIDI THRU function which one could switch on/off, and which - if one didn't know about it - might cause MIDI-loops.
I have never heard of any such function in any interface. Am I missing something?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

Re: Interface with MIDI THRU??

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 4:00 am

Hello Douglas,

The iConnectivity mio series (at least the mio10 and probably also the others, such as the mioXL) have that option, which is on by default, thus creating a MIDI feedback loop. It seems a strange design decision that the option is turned on by default, and a number of Hauptwerk users have had problems as a result of that.

I haven't encountered any other makes/models that have that functionality, but perhaps some others exist.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 4:07 am

Hallo Martin,

Thanks for the quick response.
I have never heard of the brand/model you mention, so I guess it's probably not very common in the HW world.
The brand referred to in my conversation was Focusrite, which I use a lot for customers, and have always found very reliable.
The question arose because three customers who received identical new organs last week all reported exactly the same MIDI-loop problem when attempting to auto-detect combination pistons (something we have never experienced before with this regular supplier).
When the coding was examined, the loop was immediately obvious in MIDI-Ox, but not immediately in Hauptwerk.
Has the MIDI-implementation changed between HW4 and 5/6?
Fortunately the problem has now been solved, and replacement chips are en route to the affected customers (excellent customer service!).
Douglas Henn-Macrae

mdyde

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 am

Hello Douglas,

dhm wrote:Has the MIDI-implementation changed between HW4 and 5/6?

No -- no fundamental changes in Hauptwerk v6's MIDI implementation, or in regard to how Hauptwerk handles/sends/receives MIDI (aside from the specific changes listed in the 'MIDI changes' section of the release notice, such as the ability to change existing MIDI port selections without needing to auto-detect again, and the ability to auto-detect menu/master functions 'for all organs').

If using the new ability to auto-detect functions 'for all organs', do be careful to heed the note in the release notice (and user guide) about it:

"N.B. As with Hauptwerk v4/v5, it’s important that you should normally assign any given MIDI control (physical MIDI switch/stop/piston, etc.) either to a global (‘for all organs’) function or to a per-organ (‘for this organ’) function, but not to both; a MIDI assignment to an organ function (or to any of the organ’s virtual controls) will not automatically override any global MIDI function assignment. Hence you need to decide whether any given MIDI control will always be assigned globally or per-organ before configuring it (otherwise it would trigger both functions, which may give unintended results); global assignments cannot be changed/ignored for some organs and not others."

In case it's relevant, how to un-assign MIDI settings that you may have previously assigned organ-specifically, is covered in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19192
Best regards, Martin.

dhm

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 4:45 am

Thanks, Martin. Very helpful, as always.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

mdyde

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 4:52 am

Thanks, Douglas.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing