It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:38 pm

Using 96k sample rate on MOTU 24Ao -- resolved

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Using 96k sample rate on MOTU 24Ao -- resolved

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 11:55 am

I have HW 6.0.1 sending 16 output channels to a 24Ao, which adds mixes for a subwoofer and headphones for 20 analog outputs. Works great at 48kHz sample rate. (I retired my RME UFX to be a backup. Simplifying in retirement.)

When I change HW to 96kHz in General settings | Audio device and channels, the 24Ao display changes to 96k. But only a few channels play instead of all of them.

Since I'm not using ADAT, I didn't think 96k would reduce the number of channels, and the routing tab and mixing tab on the 24Ao don't seem to have changed configurations.

I can't find anything in the MOTU or HW manuals or forums to explain this. Any ideas about what I missed?

Thank you.
Last edited by mnailor on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnailor

Re: Using 96k sample rate on MOTU 24Ao -- resolved

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 12:16 pm

*** edits after resolution ***

Okay, there is a difference. At 96k, there are only 2 group mixes instead of 3, and only 3 aux mixes instead of 7, and I'm using 8 of the 10 so the mixing tab shows output levels on all my inputs. These are all stereo mixes in case you were counting.

I guess reducing group + aux buses from 10 to 5 in 96k mode makes sense for capacity, but I didn't find that in MOTU's user guide.

I'll try sending all my inputs directly to outputs and mixer inputs for the main mix, which the monitor mix follows, and see if it works. *** Yes, this worked at 96k. My use of group and aux mixes was unnecessary. ***

I'll miss the audio level displays for inputs that I got by sending each pair through its own mix, but there aren't enough mix buses at 96k to do that even with borrowing the reverb bus. *** This is incorrect. The mix inputs do show levels on the mixer tab. My bad. ***

engrssc

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 1:01 pm

Did you notice any improvement in the audio quality when going to 96K?

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Not really, but I did notice a big improvement when I enabled higher definition pitch shifting. After that, 96k sounds similar to 48k to me. My high frequency hearing isn't great.

mnailor

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Just a followup. I went back to 48kHz a few days later because I experienced a very loud Bang-zzzzzt from my speakers a few seconds after playing Brasov with 32 ft stops on.

Pretty sure this is a known problem Martin is trying to solve for the next release.

I didn't experiment with 96k further because I hate loud noises. Took me a week to play the organ again...

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing