It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 am

No sound through Allen organ's speakers or sub-woofer

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

gaitherp

No sound through Allen organ's speakers or sub-woofer

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 3:18 pm

I have an Allen Quantum, 3-manual organ with Vista MIDI. I have Hauptwerk VI, Advanced Edition installed on my laptop, along with the St. Ann sample pipe set. I can control stops, manuals, crescendo, etc., via the Allen console. When I play, I can hear it on the laptop’s speakers or with headphones attached to the laptop. I do not, however, hear anything through the organ’s speakers and sub-woofer. Not entirely certain what’s amiss. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks! Gaither

randallschmid

Re: No sound through Allen organ's speakers or sub-woofer

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 3:44 pm

I'm not sure if you are expecting to hear Hauptwerk sounds from the Allen's sound system or Allen sounds.

HW will not sound through Allen if your computer's audio output is not connected to the Allen organ. Allen's are not delivered with audio inputs. They requires a separate interface box that is generally installed by an Allen dealer. To reduce hum and noise, you would also want to add an audio interface for your computer that provides balanced audio outputs. There are many threads on this forum that discuss audio interfaces.

If Allen sounds are not heard, verify that Allen's "Organ Local Off" setting is disabled.

The below paragraph is from the Allen Quantum manual:

9. Organ Local Off
Organ Local Off is a function that allows the user to “virtually” disconnect the organ’s
keyboards, pedalboard and pistons from the tone generation and capture system. In essence,
the organ is transformed into a multi-manual MIDI controller. To enable/disable the Organ
Local Off function, advance to the ‘ORGAN LOCAL OFF’ window function (see Section A2).
Use the "▲" and "▼" buttons in the Console Controller to enable/disable the Organ Local
Off function. Note: When Organ Local Off is enabled, the MIDI stops do not need to be on
to play the external MIDI device(s).

IainStinson

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 3:49 pm

You’ve obviously connected the midi from the Allen to your computer and this is working because you are producing sound from the computer’s built in sound system.

You need a connection from the computer’s sound system which is sent into the Allen audio system - audio is not sent over the midi connection.

If you can find a line level output from your computer and a line level audio input on the Allen you should be able to send the sound out through the Allen’s audio system. Be careful to keep volume level low when you first make the connection and turn it up a little at a time to avoid damaging the Allen.

This will probably not give you the best results. You probably need advice from some one who knows about Allen instruments to suggest the way to get the best results with the Allen audio system and Hauptwerk.

Hope this helps.

Iain

Edit: I notice that randallschmid has given you more helpful information. We must have replied at similar times.

randallschmid

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 pm

The thread discusses the same issue with Allen Vista. You may want to reach out to the original poster to see if he ever found a solution.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19433&p=145838

Romanos

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Indeed, as others have said, midi cables don’t carry any audio data. All they carry are the midi messages which tell the computer which notes to turn on or off and which stops should be active.

Hauptwerk works with two separate but equally important (and mutually exclusive) data streams: audio and midi. At the moment it seems like you’ve only hooked up cables for one of the two data streams.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing