It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

Changing the sample rate

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

axel971

Changing the sample rate

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 pm

How is it possible to change the sample rate of the organs from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz ?
Else, the organs sound detuned when mixed in a DAW with orchestral samples sampled at 44.1 (e.g. VSL)

mdyde

Re: Changing the sample rate

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 1:46 pm

Hello Axel,

It isn't possible to select an output sample rate of 44.1 kHz in Hauptwerk, I'm afraid -- you can either choose 48 kHz or 96 kHz, and would need to set your DAW's project to use that same sample rate. Most other plug-ins will use the DAW project's sample rate. I don't have experience myself with VSL, but if it doesn't automatically use the project's sample rate (e.g. 48 kHz) then maybe there is a setting within it for the sample rate, in which case set that to 48 kHz too.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

axel971

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 3:45 am

Thanks Martin for your answer. All the DAWs that I know work only with vstis at the same sample rate. Much of these vstis are sampled at 44.1. For example, Dorico uses the audio interface sample rate. I tried to set it (it's a Steinberg UR22) at 48. Result : VSL (the orchestral library) sounds unchanged, but Hauptwerk sounds too high (and too low if I choose 44.1)...

mdyde

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 am

Thanks, Axel.

The important thing is that your AU/VST host (sequencer/DAW/etc.) is set to use the *same* sample rate that Hauptwerk is set to use. E.g. for 48 kHz:

- On Hauptwerk's 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen make sure the sample rate is set to 48 kHz and OK the screen.

- Set your AU/VST host to use 48 kHz for its sample rate. E.g.:
----- Cubase (v9): Use 'Project | Project Setup: Sample rate'.
----- Logic (v10.4.8): Use 'File| Project Settings | Audio | General: Sample Rate'.
----- Reaper: Use 'File | Project settings | Project Settings: Project sample rate'.

- Note also, that some Hauptwerk organs have default pitches and temperaments other than A440/Equal, so if using Hauptwerk with other software or hardware instruments, with the relevant organ loaded in Hauptwerk, you probably also want to use Hauptwerk's Pitch control panel (which can be opened via 'View | Large floating control panels ...) to set:
----- Temperament = Equal
----- Base pitch Hz = 440.0

I don't have experience with Dorico myself, and it it isn't one of the hosts that we officially test with or list as supported, but the same should apply, i..e. you'd just need to make sure it's using 48 kHz.

(Nearly all Hauptwerk sample sets are sampled at 48 kHz, which is why Hauptwerk doesn't have an option for 44.1 kHz. You can play a sample sets at a higher rate than it was recorded with no loss of quality, but playing at a lower rate would lose some quality and need additional anti-aliasing filters, which would themselves lose some quality and add some CPU overheads.)
Best regards, Martin.

jkinkennon

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 am

I hadn't even noticed that St. Anne's is now at 48k only in HW6. Seems like the right choice! This thread sent me scrambling to load HW and look for the former 44.1k version that I was used to seeing.

axel971

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 11:43 am

Thanks Martin.
On Hauptwerk's 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen I cannot see any reference to the sample rate :(

mnailor

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 11:55 am

In HW 6, it's the second setting on the General settings | Audio devices and channels screen. Labeled "Sample rate (for audio engine and audio output)".

What version are you using?

mdyde

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:15 pm

Hello Axel,

It's definitely on that screen in Hauptwerk v5 and later:

AudioDeviceScreen.jpg
Best regards, Martin.

axel971

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:37 pm

Unfortunately, I use v4.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 pm

Thanks, Axel.

In that case (briefly, since we no longer officially support v4), in v4 there was no way to choose a specific sample rate, and the sample rate was determined by the sample set you're using (most are 48 kHz anyway).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing