It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:45 am

Midi Learn problem with VST

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Hartley Mays

Midi Learn problem with VST

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 10:01 am

Hello!

I have a problem with the auto-detect midi learn using the VST link from Reaper with Hauptwerk 7 on Windows 10. I can use the feature to set up midi input for the stops on individual organs with no problem. However, Hauptwerk seems to ignore the input when I try to use it to set values for the Master Combinations or other general controls. I'm able to do it with the stand alone main Hauptwerk program, only the VST (using an Alt Config) fails. I'm using the VST setup which routes all input through the VST link.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

mdyde

Re: Midi Learn problem with VST

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Hello Hartley,

Are you trying to auto-detect MIDI control change (CC) messages to the control panel buttons? This was/is a bug in Hauptwerk v7.0.0 (in fact, the only known v7 bug):

Bug-fix: since v7.0.0, MIDI pistons/stops/switches that send MIDI control change messages would fail to auto-detect to menu functions (control panel or piston toolbar buttons). Other types of MIDI messages (including MIDI note-on/offs, program changes, NRPNs, etc.) and other types of virtual controls (such as virtual expression pedals/sliders, stops, or a sample set's native virtual pistons), would auto-detect properly. Since MIDI control changes are rarely used for MIDI stops/pistons, the problem was usually only relevant if trying to auto-detect the top/side rows of round buttons on Novation Launchpads to menu functions.

That was fixed for v7.0.1. v7.0.1 hasn't been released yet, but if applicable we could send you a temporary build with the fix.

If it isn't MIDI control change messages that you're trying to auto-detect, or if you aren't sure, then please try:

- Load St. Anne's (for example).
- Enable the "General settings | General preferences | Advanced ... | Diagnostics: log all MIDI messages received and sent" option temporarily.
- Try auto-detecting the relevant MIDI control to one of Hauptwerk's master generals on the Registration large control panel (for example), then (assuming it still fails):
- Cancel the auto-detection window.
- Use "Help | View activity log" to see the MIDI messages that Hauptwerk had received from the console during auto-detection. It may also log the reason that auto-detection failed (e.g. another conflicting MIDI message also being received).

If you then still aren't sure of the cause of the problem from the log, please use "Help | Create a diagnostic file" and send it to Francois via a support ticket ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/submit-ticket/ ) and mention this forum topic for background information. I think you need to be logged into your account on the Hauptwerk on-line shop to be able to create a ticket.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Hartley Mays

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Martin,

That sounds like the problem and it would be great to try the 7.01 build. I'm actually using a plugin within Reaper, called ReaLearn, which adds a whole lot of power and flexibility to midi controllers used for Reaper. Messages from the external controller can be mapped into a lot of Reaper actions including sending specific exact midi messages. In this case, I'm mapping from an Akai APC Mini to send a specific CCNN message, incrementing NN for each of the buttons using that CC. These mappings can be reused in multiple presets, so I'm already using them to directly control the stops in specific organs, and now want to also use the same virtual mapping config to map to the general combinations.

Thanks for the quick answer.
Hartley
Hartley Mays

mdyde

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 2:07 pm

Thanks, Hartley. I've asked Francois to email the build to you.
Best regards, Martin.

Hartley Mays

No news from Francois

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 9:35 am

I haven't heard anything from Francois. Should I expect a delay to do the build?

Hartley
Hartley Mays

mdyde

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 9:39 am

Hello Hartley,

There was no intentional delay. I've sent Francois another email to check; perhaps my first one ended in his Spam folder or something similar.
Best regards, Martin.

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 11:32 am

Good morning Hartley,

Sorry for the delay, Martin' email (Tuesday) ended up in my spam folder.

I just emailed you the new build. If you don't find it, check your spam folder. I emailed you using my hauptwerkconsultant email address.

Don't hesitate to contact me at support if needed
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Hartley Mays

Fix looks (sounds?) good!

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 4:53 pm

Francois, Martin,

Quick initial testing is positive, I can set the master combinations using CC messages through the VST and Realearn.

Thanks for your help.

Hartley
Hartley Mays

mdyde

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Thanks, Hartley. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing