It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 am

Windows start-up audio issues

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Clavecin

Windows start-up audio issues

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 11:42 am

I'm running Windows 11 Pro, with an ESI U86XT audio interface with ASIO drivers, HWK7. All works properly but I have a start-up issue which I'm fairly sure is going to be Windows related.

I still have PIN-entry set up to start the PC, when I type in the PIN I hear Windows beeps which often sound at a rather low pitch. If I then proceed and open HWK, any instrument loaded plays at one octave below normal pitch and sounds very muddy and distorted. If I then re-start Windows the PIN beeps are at normal pitch and HWK plays properly.

This happens most of the time. I power up the PC, if I hear low beeps I immediately re-start then everything is fine. I've done all the Windows disabling, except Defender which I gather is impossible to permanently disable in Windows 11.

Starting the PC twice is annoying rather than being a major problem.

Am I missing something obvious?

IainStinson

Re: Windows start-up audio issues

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 11:54 am

I suggest checking that Windows is not using your ESI interface as its default audio output devices. Assign the internal audio as the Windows default audio output. This might explain the sounds you hear at login and why HW is probably not being successful when it first initialises the device. On Windows HW requires sole access to the audio devices - it can’t be share with another application or Windows when HW is running.

Iain

Clavecin

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 pm

Many thanks Iain, that's sorted it. I've now powered up and down a few times and HWK is behaving as it's supposed to.
Another niggle ticked off the HWK list!

Regards,
David Thornton

mnailor

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 2:14 pm

It's best to also set system sounds to no sounds.

Clavecin

PostMon Mar 06, 2023 7:11 am

Hmm, spoke too soon, the problem was back the next day.

Checked out drivers over the weekend and found that ESI have recently put up an updated driver for the U86XT on the their website, supposedly to fix various things including undescribed 'bugs'.

This appears to have solved the issue, so hopefully all will be well.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing