It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 am

Audio mixing/routing problems

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

megafisc2

Audio mixing/routing problems

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 1:01 pm

I am using a Presonus Studio 1824c sound card. HW v7. I am using 6 of the audio channels - 1 and 2 for Great and Pedal, 3 and 4 for Great and Pedal and 5 and 6 for Swell. Audio poutput device is ASIO: Studio USB ASIO Driver with channels 1 - 6 assigned as mentioned above. In the Audio Mixer, Master Mix 1 'Stereo mix 1 (main/recording)' Has audio output device channels set to Line 1 out and Line 2 out.
I have primary 001 'Main 1/2' bus set to line out 1 and line out 2; Primary 0002 is set to Line out 3 and Line out 4; Primary 3 is set to Line out 5 and line out 6. Each of those 3 busses have 'Stereo Mix 1 (main/recording) checked.
When i want to route audio in a Swell stop, I assign Rank Output Perspective 1 (front/main) to destination mixer bus group 0003 'Bius Group3' <busses: 1>. I also assign the other perspectives to the same bus group.
It seems no matter what I do, the audio is still coming from all 6 channels. Any chance there is something in the device software I need to change? Or have I done something wrong in the HW audio routing?
I will be away from the system for a day but I have some screen shots of some of my settings.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

mnailor

Re: Audio mixing/routing problems

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 1:32 pm

Normally you won't assign rank perspectives 2, 3, and 4 to a bus group, but if you didn't set a non-zero perspective mix percentage to them, that should have no effect. You can unassign those to avoid confusion in the future.

If I read it right, you are sending all 3 primary buses, each of which has its own outputs, to master mix 1. Then master mix 1 duplicates all 3 signals to outputs 1 and 2, which you don't want. I think you're hearing all ranks from channel 1 and 2 as well as the intended channel pair (1/2, 3/4, or 5/6), and that's making you think all ranks are going to all 6 channels, but I could have missed something.

Please remove the outputs (1 and 2) from master mix 1 and try it.

Also just a check, are primary buses 001 and 002 in one bus group for GT and PD, and primary bus 003 is alone in a bus group for SW? I'm trying to make sure I know what you're trying to do.

mdyde

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm

Hello Mark Fischer,

To add to Mark Nailor's reply (thanks as always, Mark): you could try selecting "none" for the device channels for each of your existing mixer buses (including master mix bus 1), then instead try following the step-by-step instructions in the "Example 4: multi-channel audio with 8 (or more) speakers configured as stereo pairs in 4 groups of 1 pair each, with different organ divisions routed to different groups ..." section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 233-238 in the current v7.0 version), which covers routing divisions to speaker pairs as I understand you're aiming to do. (You would instead just use 6 speakers in 3 groups of 1 pair each.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

megafisc2

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 10:16 pm

Thank you both again. Turns out that when the PreSonus board was installed, its mixer is automatically enabled. I disabled their miser and everything worked as expected.

mdyde

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 3:14 am

Thanks, Mark. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing