It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:31 am

Manual keys not playing correct notes

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

jwebstertoronto

Manual keys not playing correct notes

PostWed May 24, 2023 11:49 am

Hi All,
I apologise if this was addressed elsewhere, but I searched and couldn't find anything.
I recently got a new motherboard, processor and memory so that I could play the Melbourne Town Hall organ. I was setting up the manuals, pedals and pistons etc. and all was going well. However, when I went to play on the Great, I found that many of the keys were playing the incorrect notes and some were playing two or more and some were completely silent. I could see the corresponding incorrect keys operating on the console panel in HW. I believe that it is a MIDI problem with the key mapping from the great manual, but I don't know how to fix it. It is the same on all of the organs I have - the same keys play the same wrong notes etc.. The other three manuals and pedals play correctly.
I’ve updated all the drivers and chipset.
My system is:
ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WIFI D4 motherboard
Intel i5-13600K, 24MB Cache, LGA1700 processor
4x32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz RAM
Roland UM-ONE USB MIDI Interface
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 external sound card
2 x ELO touchscreen monitors.
MCU bought from Classic in October 2015
I would appreciate any input you may have to help me fix this.
Thanks very much,
Jim

mnailor

Re: Manual keys not playing correct notes

PostWed May 24, 2023 12:28 pm

Under General settings | General preferences | Advanced preferences, please turn on logging MIDI messages, play some notes on your Great keyboard, and see what note numbers show up in Help | View activity log. Don't forget to turn logging off.

It sounds like your Great keyboard's MIDI encoding or cable has a problem, even though it's your PC that's new here.

jwebstertoronto

PostSat May 27, 2023 2:12 pm

Thanks very much - I'll try that!

jwebstertoronto

PostMon May 29, 2023 10:29 am

Tried that and now I'm not sure what that's telling me. I can see that the log shows that when I play a two octave scale that the log shows that the signal sent for some notes isn't the note that's being played. I'm at a loss, and would appreciate learning what to do now!

Thank you,
Jim

brooke.benfield

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 11:53 am

Load up the St. Annes organ. (I'm assuming you have that organ already configured.)

When you press keys on the physical keyboards, do the same keys on the virtual keyboards move?
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

mnailor

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 12:42 pm

jwebstertoronto wrote:Tried that and now I'm not sure what that's telling me. I can see that the log shows that when I play a two octave scale that the log shows that the signal sent for some notes isn't the note that's being played. I'm at a loss, and would appreciate learning what to do now!

Thank you,
Jim

That sounds like your Great physical keyboard has messed up electronics, not the PC. I just bought my keyboards and hooked them up, so can't help with that.

If you posted the specific MIDI logging and what notes you actually played to the DIY Consoles / MIDI track in this forum, somebody who knows keyboard MIDI hardware might help you.

NickNelson

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 1:37 pm

mnailor wrote:If you posted the specific MIDI logging and what notes you actually played to the DIY Consoles / MIDI track in this forum, somebody who knows keyboard MIDI hardware might help you.

Just so, I'd be happy to take a look.

Nick

jwebstertoronto

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 2:54 pm

Thanks so much, Nick. I switched the Gt with the Sw inputs to my midi control unit and it seems to have sorted things out. Knock on wood, it's back working... Kind regards, Jim

NickNelson

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 2:59 pm

jwebstertoronto wrote:Thanks so much, Nick. I switched the Gt with the Sw inputs to my midi control unit and it seems to have sorted things out. Knock on wood, it's back working... Kind regards, Jim

Thanks Jim,

Glad to hear it's OK now,

Nick

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing